Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    magdalena is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    327

    arabic/ Arabian

    What is the difference between arabic and Arabian, can I say arabic/ Arabian culture interchengeably?

  2. #2
    *Sama*'s Avatar
    *Sama* is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    38

    Re: arabic/ Arabian

    Not a teacher
    Quote Originally Posted by magdalena View Post
    What is the difference between arabic and Arabian, can I say arabic/ Arabian culture interchengeably?
    Hi,
    We use the word Arabic to describe the language.
    EX: I speak Arabic.
    But we use Arabian to descirbe the nationality.
    EX: I am Arabian.
    So, you can say Arabian culture.

    I hope this helps:)
    Last edited by *Sama*; 24-Jun-2010 at 20:52.

  3. #3
    Atchan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Somali
      • Home Country:
      • Somalia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,991

    Re: arabic/ Arabian

    Quote Originally Posted by *Sama* View Post
    Not a teacher

    Hi,
    We use the word Arabic to describe the language.
    EX: I speak Arabic.
    But we use Arabian to descirbe the nationality.
    EX: I am Arabian.
    So, you can say Arabian culture.

    I hope this helps:)
    Excellent answers.

  4. #4
    magdalena is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    327

    Re: arabic/ Arabian

    so, does it mean that I can't say arabic culture/ architecture/ style ?

  5. #5
    Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    31,888

    Re: arabic/ Arabian

    Quote Originally Posted by magdalena View Post
    So, does it mean that I can't say Arabic culture/ architecture/ style ?
    Yes, it does. Use Arabic only for the language. Say Arab or Arabian culture etc, and always use a capital letter for these words and for the first word in a sentence.

    If you do not believe the Arabian posters who have already responded to your question, see message #5 in this thread, written by another poster who is an Arab himself:

    Arab/Arabic/Arabian - WordReference Forums

    Rover

  6. #6
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    61,377

    Re: arabic/ Arabian

    Quote Originally Posted by *Sama* View Post
    Not a teacher

    Hi,
    We use the word Arabic to describe the language.
    EX: I speak Arabic.
    But we use Arabian to descirbe the nationality.
    EX: I am Arabian.
    So, you can say Arabian culture.

    I hope this helps:)
    May I ask what you mean by "nationality"? In BrE, nationality refers to the country from which you have a passport. As there is no country simply called "Arabia", when you say "I am Arabian", would that translate to "I am Saudi Arabian", or that the ethnicity is Arabian.

  7. #7
    Atchan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Somali
      • Home Country:
      • Somalia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,991

    Re: arabic/ Arabian

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    May I ask what you mean by "nationality"? In BrE, nationality refers to the country from which you have a passport. As there is no country simply called "Arabia", when you say "I am Arabian", would that translate to "I am Saudi Arabian", or that the ethnicity is Arabian.
    Arabian doesn't depend on names of countries, it depends on ethnicity or race. For example, Saudi Arabia isn't the only country which is Arabian. Somalia, Egypt, Lebanon, Palestine, Sudan, Tunisia, etc. All of them are Arabians.

    Just like Europe, England, France, Italy, Germany, etc. All of them when we talking generally we said Europe/European countries.

  8. #8
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    61,377

    Re: arabic/ Arabian

    Quote Originally Posted by atchan View Post
    Arabian doesn't depend on names of countries, it depends on ethnicity or race. For example, Saudi Arabia isn't the only country which is Arabian. Somalia, Egypt, Lebanon, Palestine, Sudan, Tunisia, etc. All of them are Arabians.

    Just like Europe, England, France, Italy, Germany, etc. All of them when we talking generally we said Europe/European countries.
    OK, thanks, so it's ethnicity, not nationality.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •