Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
'The current rules will be replaced by a new procedure.'

I would have said 'with', and 'by' if followed by an active agent (ie whoever is doing the replacing). What do you think? Is 'by' here possible or at least passable (given I don't want my lawyer-clients thinking I'm being too pedantic), or should I definitely change to 'with'?

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I hesitated for a while whether to answer or not since it would be a bit awkard for me(as a non-native-speaker) to answer you, considering you are both a native-speaker and a teacher of English Language. This is what I understand from your sentence;

A new procedure is now in effect and the current ruleswill be replaced with the new ones.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I hesitated for a while whether to answer or not since it would be a bit awkard for me(as a non-native-speaker) to answer you, considering you are both a native-speaker and a teacher of English Language. This is what I understand from your sentence;

A new procedure is now in effect and the current ruleswill be replaced with the new ones.

Yup, that's about it. And my question remains, is 'by' tolerable, or indeed an alternative, here?

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, no-one replied in time to set me right so, having discussed this important issue with my boss, I've decided to let 'by' stand.

Heterological

Member Type
English Teacher
I would have let "by" stand, as well. "With" does sound more natural to my ear, but if I'm charged with correcting grammar, I only change things that are incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.