singular or plural?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MraNir

Member Type
Student or Learner
"People" in a noun that must be conjugated as a plural...
Do you know more words that agree with that rule?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't understand what you are asking.

You conjugate verbs - not nouns.

Rover

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"People" in a noun that must be conjugated as a plural...
Do you know more words that agree with that rule?
Yes, "people" is usually considered plural. Occasionally, it's used in a singular sense, as in "The ancient Macedonians were a warlike people".
A lot of nouns like this that refer to a collection of people or things are usually treated as being plural - e.g. 'police'.
Many such nouns can be either singular or plural - government, committee ...

MraNir

Member Type
Student or Learner
Rover: I mean that, in a sentence this noun "people" is plural (so you say "people are" and never "people is"), perhaps you do not know, but in other languages it is singular and when you add a verb it works like "he/she" and not like "them". For instance, this a very common mistake when spanish people learn english.

Raymott: Thanks for your explanation; only one more thing: Can you say "a group of people" or you are better using "a group of persons"? I have used a translator and it shows me the first option, but I don't believe on these translators too much...

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Raymott: Thanks for your explanation; only one more thing: Can you say "a group of people" or you are better using "a group of persons"? I have used a translator and it shows me the first option, but I don't believe on these translators too much...
You say "a group of people". You will probably never need to use "persons" at all.

MraNir

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thanks a lot Raymott!
Yesterday I had to do an speech in english (I was thinking about it when I doubted about the thing with "people" that you answered me) and I felt insecure with oral english. What can you recommend to be able to speak fluently asap? A briefly explanation would be appreciated

eng4101

Member Type
Other
'Never too late with language!'

People= a man and a woman; a child and an adult; a lady and agentleman

Status
Not open for further replies.