Student or Learner
Native Language
Nepali
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
India
Hello:)

I am wondering how to use 'not only, but also' phrase. Example: Not only did the crowd turn wild but also the policeman kept firing.

Can 'not only, but also' be used to connect different events, or must they be used only to connect the actions performed by the same actor?

Thanks in advance,
Mr. X

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
----- I am not an ESL teacher -----

Hello:)

I am wondering how to use 'not only, but also' phrase. Example: Not only did the crowd turn wild but also the policeman kept firing.

Can 'not only, but also' be used to connect different events, or must they be used only to connect the actions performed by the same actor?

Thanks in advance,
Mr. X

Not only your example is correct, but also this expression can be used to connect different events. As long as they have a common effect it is fine.
Examples:
"Not only did the girl start crying but also her mother started yelling."
"Usually the nucleus is not only composed by charged particles, but also by neutral ones."
"She needed to get dressed quickly, not only because she was late but also Michael was about to wake up."

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Not only your example is correct, but also this expression can be used to connect different events. As long as they have a common effect it is fine.
Examples:
"Not only did the girl start crying but also her mother started yelling."
"Usually the nucleus is not only composed by charged particles, but also by neutral ones."
"She needed to get dressed quickly, not only because she was late but also Michael was about to wake up."

In addition to your fine examples of two similar events being joined by “not only … but also”, it can be also explained that the expression not only … but also is a paired co-relative conjunction used to connect two items similar in nature or kind, the items can be events, actions or simple words such as nouns, adjectives etc, as:
He coached not only soccer but also tennis. (two similar nouns)
He not only taught five periods a day but also coached three sports. (two similar actions )
Some times it is not only wise to listen to your parents but also interesting. (two similar adjectives)
It can be used in parallel structure to balance two items.
Parallel: This is not only unclear but also wordy.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

1. Not only is your example [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] correct, but this expression can also be used to connect different events. As long as they have a common effect it is fine.
Examples:

2. "Not only did the girl start crying but her mother also started yelling."

3. "Usually the nucleus is composed not only of charged particles, but also of neutral ones."

4. "She needed to get dressed quickly, not only because she was late but also because Michael was about to wake up."
5. "Not only did the crowd turn wild but the policeman [STRIKE]also[/STRIKE] kept firing."

Some of these are not typical examples of how this term is used. "Also" is not necessary in 2. and 5. and the sentence is perhaps better without it.
Note that, if the subject changes, the position of "also" sometimes has to change for the sentence to sound natural.

sarat's examples are more typical of the usage.

Generally, a sentence like "Not only did A do something, but also B did something else" sounds wrong and should be reworded, usually without "also" in it.

Heterological

Member Type
English Teacher
I would only add to the above that if "not only" is to begin your sentence, you must use question word order for the subject and verb immediately following. So write: "Not only did she win the race, but she also beat her personal best time," not "Not only she won the race..." Also note that when "not only...but also" joins two clauses instead of just two nouns or verbs, the subject usually goes between "but" and "also."

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Thanks for your wise answers sarat_106, Raymott and Heterological.
I apologize for my mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.