[Essay] Is language knowledge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeujin

Member Type
Student or Learner
hello every body this is my first one:
in my opinion i was always think that language is not knowledge why that?
KNOWLEDGE is some thing exist in world but in hiding way ,it wait human to discover it if i said that i know that or i know you this is mean that you are already exist in world and i discover your character by logical way to tallk to you for eg or testing you in hard moment,language is some thing that human agree to it, arbitrary one (human agree to call pen ,pen ther is no logical relation ship or theory prove that) so language is not one of this thing that already exist in the world i mean reality.
so it is not knowledge.
i need to discuss this idea so you all welcome.

Last edited:

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The ability to read, understand and communicate a language is definitely knowledge. And knowledge is power. Throughout history people have been swindled or taken advantage of because they couldn't understand the legal language used on a contract. A deaf person who is not taught a sign language of some sort will go through life unable to communcate, so language is definitely knowledge in that case.

To take this to the very beginning of time, primitive man discovered fire once upon a time. He learned that he could use this fire to cook his food and heat his home. This was knowledge. But that knowledge would have died with that man had he not developed a language to be able to describe this thing we now call "fire" and share it and its uses with his offspring and/or his neighbors.

yeujin

Member Type
Student or Learner
you are not following me i give an eg at the begain of the world before Men figure out sign of communication thy have a knowledge about that fire hurt they have knowledge of eating....
language is tool to aquire knowledge and it's not necessary.

QQFarmer

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Well sometimes language is all that counts.

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Speaking of language, I decided to make some linguistic changes to your post:

In my opinion, language is not knowledge,but why?
KNOWLEDGE is some thing that does exist in the world, but it is some abstract entity; it requires human beings to discover it: if I say that I know this or that thing, that means the thing is already existent in the world, and I (happened) to discover it.

That's not completely right. Possessed of an ability called displacement, human beings seem to be able to create anything they desire, out of their knowledge of the world, whether it is real or not.

character by logical way to tallk to youfor example or testing you in hard moment, language is some thing that human agree to it, arbitrary one (human agree to call pen, pen ther is no logical relationship or theory prove that) so language is not one of this thing that already exist in the world- I mean reality.
so it is not knowledge.

Apparently, I can't understand the second paragraph. Would you explain more?
C

Last edited:

elhithebest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
in my opinion i was always think that language is not knowledge why that?
KNOWLEDGE is some thing exist in world but in hiding way ,it wait human to discover it if i said that i know that or i know you this is mean that you are already exist in world and i discover your character by logical way to tallk to you for eg or testing you in hard moment,language is some thing that human agree to it, arbitrary one (human agree to call pen ,pen ther is no logical relation ship or theory prove that) so language is not one of this thing that already exist in the world i mean reality.
so it is not knowledge.

Language is not just to speak, signs are language, a hug is lang., a kiss also is.
If there is no knoledge, there is no interaction. You can´t express anything without knowing how. It is arbitrary in the way things are named, but if it wasn´t knowledge, there wouldn´t be any interactio(of any kind) at all.

Jaskin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
HI,

you are not following me i give an eg at the begain of the world before Men figure out sign of communication thy have a knowledge about that fire hurt they have knowledge of eating....
language is tool to aquire knowledge and it's not necessary.

Yes I think I can agree with you here. but .... What you actually saying is that knowledge isn't language and it doesn't mean that language isn't knowledge.

Cheers

Jaskin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
hi,
I thought about finishing on my last post but ... you know ....
I'll start with attacking your premises. You write:

KNOWLEDGE is some thing exist in world but in hiding way ,it wait human to discover it if i said that i know that or i know you this is mean that you are already exist in world and i discover your character by logical way to tallk to you for eg or testing you in hard moment

now my question is: do you know who was Plato ?
Does he exist in the world - no; Is he hidden - no. so if you have Knowledge of Plato your premise doesn't hold. I think you must redefine knowledge.

your second premise
language is some thing that human agree to it, arbitrary one (human agree to call pen ,pen ther is no logical relation ship or theory prove that)

What is logic then ?

Cheers,
Ps. not a teacher nor a native speaker.

Last edited:

yeujin

Member Type
Student or Learner
thank you all for sharing me your idea.
chester_100 i start with you thank's for what do you do i preciate it ,about 2nd paragraphe i tallk about that our lge is arbitrary like if i said pen this word do not give you the shape of a pen but in your mind you decode that when you hear it .
Now Jaskin thank's alot dude ,about plato he was human philosopher exist in world and i discover his knowledge by language (like i said language is tool to aquire knowledge),second i mean by logical way using methods and steps to arrive or make invention ,not stay in table and create names from nothing to things...
like i said knowledge is information was discovered by logical way.
language is not knowledge who convinced me.

Jaskin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
hi,
First of all if you make a claim that language is not knowledge then I'm afraid that the burden of proof is on you.
You made some sort of argument that doesn't hold as it's based on fallacious idea of knowledge. If we are about to have a serious debate about it we must get a few things straight. Could you please explain again what you understand by knowledge.

Now Jaskin thank's alot dude ,about plato he was human philosopher exist in world and i discover his knowledge by language (like i said language is tool to aquire knowledge)
I didn't actually ask how did you discover his knowledge (or knowledge of him) but if you have knowledge of him.
You said that
KNOWLEDGE is some thing exist in world but in hiding way ,it wait human to discover it if i said that i know that or i know you this is mean that you are already exist in world and i discover your character by logical way to tallk to you for eg or testing you in hard moment
I give you an example of something, someone that does not exist in the world and is not hidden but you still have knowledge of it. There is knowledge of Plato.
Is that your understanding of language ??
,not stay in table and create names from nothing to things...

Cheers,

Last edited:

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
thank you all for sharing me your idea.
chester_100 i start with you thank's for what do you do i preciate it ,about 2nd paragraphe i tallk about that our lge is arbitrary like if i said pen this word do not give you the shape of a pen but in your mind you decode that when you hear it .
</p>
I see! That's absolutely right.
Since you're interested in such arguments, it wouldn't be a bad idea to read some articles on the following fields:

-Epistemology: studies concerned with the nature of knowledge.
-Nominalism: studies concerned with names and universals.

So far, three characteristics of human languages have been mentioned:

1- Cultural Transmission (as Ouisch implied)
2- Arbitrariness
3- Displacement

yeujin

Member Type
Student or Learner
well ,my definition of knowledge is any information you discover it (i mean by discover that you make an invention by useing methods and steps ,logical way ,or you learn it by using the usual tool language,and what you learn should be discovered ).
second i didn't undrestand what do you mean by that( I give you an example of something, someone that does not exist in the world and is not hidden but you still have knowledge of it. There is knowledge of Plato. )
About language i know that it is sign and symbols that used to comunicate ,but what i am say that lge is kind of idea that was agree to it by human,that's why i am say that language is tool to aquire knowledge.
And it's wrong if i said i know English ,i shoud be said that i can comunicate by English.
thank's
and thank you (chester_100) for the amazing information

Last edited:

Editors4Writers

Member Type
English Teacher
haha, this thread reminds me of my earlier studies in Pragmaticism. (FYI: Yes, this is the correct spelling.)

Status
Not open for further replies.