Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Hi
What does extreme mean in this context
At one extreme, phonology is concerned with anatomy and physiology. At another extreme, phonology shades into socio-linguistics.

Thanks a lot.

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Hi
At one extreme, phonology is concerned with anatomy and physiology. At another extreme, phonology shades into socio-linguistics.

Thanks a lot.
*** Not A Teacher ***

Originally, extreme means very large in amount or degree.
For example: extreme pain/stupidity/wealth.

But I think its mean in this context is "at one end". Because when I use Arabic Dictionary it gives me "at one end". While English Dictionary gives me very large.

Good Luck!

Over the top

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Thanks but I don't understand the meaning.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
*** Not A Teacher ***

But I think its meaning in this context is "at one end". yes, at the very far far far end, at the farthest end

And because there are only two extremes, we say 'at one exreme' and 'at the other extreme'.

At one extreme an adult human can be less than 3 feet tall, and at the other extreme more than seven feet tall.

At one extreme a business ventuure can consist of a single child with an annual income of less than one hundred dollars, and at the other extreme it can be a multinational company with hundreds of thousands of employees and annual sales of hundreds of billions of dollars.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi

Thanks a lot.
Since no one's mentioned spectra/spectrums yet, I'll add my 2c.
- Where does language exist? There is a spectrum of ideas. At one extreme, Chomsky believes that there is a biological innate learning device in the brain. At the other extreme, Vygotsky and other sociocultural theorists place language firmly in the domain of social interaction.

- There are many colours in the visible light spectrum. At one extreme there is red, at the other, violet. Beyond those extremes of visible light, lie the infra-red and ultraviolet wavelengths, respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.