Member Type
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Dear all,

Do you call a table tennis bat a "racket"?
I think typial rackets have strings. However, when I googled the image of "table tennis rackets" I found so many hits.

Thank you!

OP

Heterological

Member Type
English Teacher
In regular tennis, the instrument is called a "racket;" in table tennis (usually referred to by the trademarked name "Ping Pong," in the U.S. at least) the instrument is called a "paddle."

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In BE it's called a bat.

Rover

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BE it's called a bat.

Rover

In regular tennis, the instrument is called a "racket;" in table tennis (usually referred to by the trademarked name "Ping Pong," in the U.S. at least) the instrument is called a "paddle."

This difference is compounded by the fact that the whole game (in Am Eng:?:, maybe just in the strange international dialect I met at a summer school...) is called 'paddle'.

b

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi Bob,
We call it ping-pong most often, but table tennis is common. For sure, we play it with a paddle. (I would think it was funny if someone called it a racquet; now I know it's what you call it in the UK.) I've never heard the game called paddle.

For the record, badminton and tennis are played with a racquet.

Am I spelling that wrong? I'm getting red squiggly lines...

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi Bob,
We call it ping-pong most often, but table tennis is common. For sure, we play it with a paddle. (I would think it was funny if someone called it a racquet; now I know it's what you call it in the UK.) I've never heard the game called paddle.

For the record, badminton and tennis are played with a racquet.

Am I spelling that wrong? I'm getting red squiggly lines...

I think you may have misread an earlier post. In the UK, it's called either a bat or a paddle (though I have never called it a paddle!), never a racquet!

We call the game table tennis, only little children generally call it ping-pong, although it's played with a "ping-pong ball".

I've certainly never heard that game called "paddle". Now that I live in Spain, I'm learning about their national game which is called "padel". It's a bizarre mix of tennis and squash. I've played it once. I was rubbish!

And no, you're spelling racquet perfectly. I think some spellcheckers have been set to mark it wrong as these days so many people seem to use the Anglicised version - racket.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We call the game table tennis, only little children generally call it ping-pong, although it's played with a "ping-pong ball".

According to Boris Johnson, in his unique contribution to 'Ping-Pong Diplomacy' after the Beijing Olympics ;-), it used to be called 'Whiff-Whaff' - though I've never heard of this. (It suggests, onomatopoeically that the sound of the bats was more significant then than the sound of the ball - so it must have been a very early version, presumably based on a sort of ball that pre-dated the celluloid balls used now.)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.