Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi, all! I'd like to ask about the spelling of my family name.

I'm Asian, and my family name is pronounced as /im/ in my country. So I spell my family name as "Im". For example, if my given name is Jake, my full name will be "Jake Im". Does this sound awkward to native speakers or make you at a loss how to pronounce it?

Alternatively, some people in my country with the same family name spell their family name as "Lim". It's possible because "Im" and "Lim" derive from the same chinese character which means a forest. People with the same family name in other countries spell their name as "Lin", "Lyn", "Lam", etc.

So, how does "Im" sound to you? Does it sound seriously strange or would I do better spell it in other ways such as "Lim" or even "Lin"? I personally don't like to spell it "Lim" because it reminds me of "limb". What do you think?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi, all! I'd like to ask about the spelling of my family name.

I'm Asian, and my family name is pronounced as /im/ in my country. So I spell my family name as "Im". For example, if my given name is Jake, my full name will be "Jake Im". Does this sound awkward to native speakers or make you at a loss how to pronounce it?

Alternatively, some people in my country with the same family name spell their family name as "Lim". It's possible because "Im" and "Lim" derive from the same chinese character which means a forest. People with the same family name in other countries spell their name as "Lin", "Lyn", "Lam", etc.

So, how does "Im" sound to you? Does it sound seriously strange or would I do better spell it in other ways such as "Lim" or even "Lin"? I personally don't like to spell it "Lim" because it reminds me of "limb". What do you think?
Lim is quite an acceptable Asian name. It doesn't remind me of limbs. There are quite a few successful doctors and other professionals in Brisbane called Lim, and it hasn't affected their careers.
Im should not be a problem, though it is less common.
You have transcribed it as /im/. The /i/ in IPA is the long 'i' sound as in English 'seem' /sim/.
The short /i/, rhyming with 'him', 'Jim' is IPA smallcap [FONT=&quot]/ɪ[/FONT]/, so [FONT=&quot]/ɪm/ or /Im/ to make it easy.

[/FONT]

Im J.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Oh, thanks! The reply was very quick! Thanks for your opinion and the tip.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with Raymott, Lim is a very traditional Chinese surname to American ears. There is nothing wrong with Im, of course, but when you introduce yourself to others "Jake Lim" will be immediately understood, whereas "Jake Im" would be a bit confusing - it might sound like one word (as if your first name was "Jakim") and then folks would ask you what your family name is. ;-)

Im J.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks! Btw, does "Im" really remind you of "I'm"??

Status
Not open for further replies.