Dictionary of Contemporary English works with Alcohol 120 or other virtual drive app?

Status
Not open for further replies.

englexpl

Member Type
Student or Learner
I would like to buy and use the DVD from the Dictionary of Contemporary English (DCE). But I have installed (legally) the Software Alcohol 120%. On the german amazon.de website I read a recension in which the user describes problems with the DCE DVD together with another programm to use virtual drives.
The user DIDN'T want to use the DCE DVD directly together with the virtual Software - so he didn't try to copy the DCE to the virtual drive. The DCE doesn't work even if there is only a virtual dvd programm installed on the computer. The longman publisher wants to prevent attempts from users to copy their dvd.

But this way they also prevent users to use a legally bought DCE DVD together on the same computer with a legally bought virtual dvd Software.

So, now my question:

Is there anyone who uses the DCE DVD together with Alcohol 120% on the same computer (only using on the same computer, not trying to copy the DCE DVD to the virtual drive)? Does it work?

(I'm using windows 7 64 bit)

AND:

Does anyone use another electronic english-english or english-german dictionary with windows 7 64 bit?

Last edited:

vanhoabui

Member Type
Student or Learner
Try to use the free utility MagicDisk to create a virtual drive and mount the Longman DVD.

Hope it works!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
They're probably blacklisting the program because it can get round certain forms of copyright protection (and Alcohol is mentioned in the link).

Status
Not open for further replies.