love of comfort

Status
Not open for further replies.

羡鱼-Xianyu

Member Type
Student or Learner
I find young people exciting. They have an air of freedom, and they have not a dreary commitment to mean ambitions or love of comfort. They are not anxious social climbers, and they have no devotion to material things. All this seems to me to link them with life, and the origins of things.

Dear all,
1. What's the meaning of 'love of comfort'?
2. Could I remove the red comma out? To me, it is unnecessary. Am I right? Thanks!

Regards
Xianyu

Heterological

Member Type
English Teacher
This is easier than you are making it. Comfort is a feeling of being comfortable. Love of comfort is enjoyment of that feeling.

You are probably confused because you don't see what's wrong with that. Given the context, I think the author thinks poorly of the pursuit of comfort because it is not courageous or interesting.

You can certainly remove the comma in red. Often comma usage is a matter of style, not grammar. This one serves only to give the reader a chance to stop and catch his breath, so to speak.

羡鱼-Xianyu

Member Type
Student or Learner
This is easier than you are making it. Comfort is a feeling of being comfortable. Love of comfort is enjoyment of that feeling.

You are probably confused because you don't see what's wrong with that. Given the context, I think the author thinks poorly of the pursuit of comfort because it is not courageous or interesting.

You can certainly remove the comma in red. Often comma usage is a matter of style, not grammar. This one serves only to give the reader a chance to stop and catch his breath, so to speak.
Hello, Heterological. Thank you for your detailed reply. I've got it.

QQFarmer

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In Chinese it means “贪图享乐”.

Status
Not open for further replies.