1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Smile Do you use these phrases a lot?

Hi, I'm Johnny.

Even since I came to Philippines, I have heard a lot this question from many people. "How did/do you find Philippines?" When I heard this question, I answered literally how I came to Philippines like the famous quote by Beetles which I found on the internet.

I knew the meaning of it and I knew how the verb find was used in this question. However, it just sounds a bit strange to me. I wonder if this expression is widely used by many native speakers.

When I read many business e-mails written by Philippinos, I quite often come across the word 'kindly' and it's used like this, "Kindly do something."
    Instead of 'please', they put 'kindly'. I also wonder many native speakers are using 'kindly' with imperative sentences

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Do you use these phrases a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by mhismst View Post
    Hi, I'm Johnny.

Even since I came to Philippines, I have heard a lot this question from many people. "How did/do you find Philippines?" When I heard this question, I answered literally how I came to Philippines like the famous quote by Beetles which I found on the internet.

I knew the meaning of it and I knew how the verb find was used in this question. However, it just sounds a bit strange to me. I wonder if this expression is widely used by many native speakers.
    The expression, "How do you find X?", is very common. It means "What do you think/feel about X so far?"

When I read many business e-mails written by Philippinos, I quite often come across the word 'kindly' and it's used like this, "Kindly do something."
    Instead of 'please', they put 'kindly'. I also wonder many native speakers are using 'kindly' with imperative sentences
    Yes, it's common. It means " Please be so kind as to do something."
    R.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Re: Do you use these phrases a lot?

I learned something today.
    When I was asked this question, i.e., "how do you find the talk", I was thinking that the asker had made a mistake but he didn't. However, from the very specific context I was sure that he meant "How do you feel about the talk" and answered him correctly.