Do these sentences actually mean what I think they mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

english-kazan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Here's a collection of things I heard in English soaps recently but couldn't find any explanation in either dictionaries or on the net. I just tried to work out the meanings from the context. Could anyone confirm?
1. You crack on you know everything = You keep talking as if you know everything.
2. I'm pulling myself stupid = I'm masturbating a lot
3. She can sing for her job = She's lost her job, she can forget about it now, end of
4. Sit down, take off = sit down and take your clothes off (some of it, anyway), (used without an object!, is it ok?)
5. Sorry, Grumps = said to someone who is grumpy

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Here's a collection of things I heard in English soaps recently but couldn't find any explanation in either dictionaries or on the net. I just tried to work out the meanings from the context. Could anyone confirm?
1. You crack on you know everything = You keep talking as if you know everything.
2. I'm pulling myself stupid = I'm masturbating a lot
3. She can sing for her job = She's lost her job, she can forget about it now, end of
4. Sit down, take off = sit down and take your clothes off (some of it, anyway), (used without an object!, is it ok?)
5. Sorry, Grumps = said to someone who is grumpy
They could all mean what you say, though colloquial phrases like this often have regional meanings. And the context is very important.
2. does have that meaning, but it's impossible to say whether that is what was meant with the information given.

The only one I'd question is 4. It doesn't mean take your clothes off (usually). It means, "Sit down and take the weight off your feet". But I've never heard it said in this way.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
They could all mean what you say, though colloquial phrases like this often have regional meanings. And the context is very important.
2. does have that meaning, but it's impossible to say whether that is what was meant with the information given.

The only one I'd question is 4. It doesn't mean take your clothes off (usually). It means, "Sit down and take the weight off your feet". But I've never heard it said in this way.

I agree, and number 2 would need some context!!!

Number 4 I've seen as "Sit down and take a load off" but it still means, as you said "Take the weight off your feet" (relax). I've never just seen it as posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.