Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
" For millions of earlier immigrants in transit from their own cultures to American society so young that cultures barely had time to create itself, the movies became the substitute acculturation process"

I don't understand the red phrase grammatically.. where is the verb? why is a gerund ( so young ) after a noun ( society)?

Please help me out.. !

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
" For millions of earlier immigrants in transit from their own cultures to American society so young that cultures barely had time to create itself, the movies became the substitute acculturation process"

I don't understand the red phrase grammatically.. where is the verb? why is a gerund ( so young ) after a noun ( society)?

Please help me out.. !
I agree there are grammatical errors - perhaps in transcription. But the phrase in red is correct.
However, there's no missing verb. I think it means something like this:
"For millions of earlier immigrants in transit from their own cultures to American society at an age when they were so young that a culture barely had time to create itself for them, the movies became the substitute acculturation process."

Another example of the problematic phrase:
"He came to America so young he couldn't remember Russia at all."
"He came to America when he was so young that he couldn't remember Russia at all."

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree there are grammatical errors - perhaps in transcription. But the phrase in red is correct.
However, there's no missing verb. I think it means something like this:
"For millions of earlier immigrants in transit from their own cultures to American society at an age when they were so young that a culture barely had time to create itself for them, the movies became the substitute acculturation process."

Another example of the problematic phrase:
"He came to America so young he couldn't remember Russia at all."
"He came to America when he was so young that he couldn't remember Russia at all."

Not a teacher.

There should be an "an." "An American society [that was] so young..."

The "that was" is understood by the reader.

wotcha

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
alright then.. what about the following sentence...

" For a society so young that needed a lot of improvement in the social, cultural and economic aspects, it was left crippled and helpless, when almost active member was a candidate for graduation "

same word order are found here.....? Wonder how can I explain this to my students.. They must be curious about the word order and grammar here..

wotcha

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I don't understand it either. The text is missing certain words and marks. Can you rewrite it correctly?

and..I double checked the text and found nothing different from my copy

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

I also read the red part to mean that American society was so young that culture didn't have time to be created.
why is a gerund ( so young ) "so young" is not a gerund. after a noun ( society)?
!

wotcha

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Then, why is the be-verb omitted? You don't need a verb in that phrase. The red phrase is mostly a noun and adjectives. Verbs come later in the sentence.

And if " so young " is not a gerund, what is that?? It's an adjective phrase modifying "American society".

A gerund is a verb ending with 'ing' and serving as a noun.
Walking is good exercise.

Don't leave a space between words and punctuation marks.

" so young " :cross:
"so young" :tick:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
alright then.. what about the following sentence...

" For a society so young that needed a lot of improvement in the social, cultural and economic aspects, it was left crippled and helpless, when almost active member was a candidate for graduation "

same word order are found here.....? Wonder how can I explain this to my students.. They must be curious about the word order and grammar here..

Same thing. There is an understood-by-the-reader phrase missing. For a society (that was) so young.

Jaskin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
hi,

Please note I'm not a teacher nor a native speaker.

That's a long subject.

For millions of earlier immigrants who were in transit from their own cultures to American society and were so young that cultures barely had time to create itself, the movies became the substitute acculturation process.

I agree with Raymott, I think we have two phrases that modify earlier immigrants, and with wotcha that the be-verb are omitted.

Cheers

Last edited:

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
hi,

For millions of earlier immigrants who were in transit from their own cultures to American society and were so young that cultures barely had time to create itself, the movies became the substitute acculturation process.

I agree with Raymott, I think we have two phrases that modify earlier immigrants.
No, your underlined phrase cannot modify "earlier immigrants". Your sentence makes no sense.

Jaskin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
hi,
Please note I'm not a teacher or a native speaker.

For millions of earlier immigrants so young that cultures barely had time to create itself, the movies became the substitute acculturation process.

Are you saying that the above sentence doesn't have a sense ?
if so why ?

cheers

Jaskin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
hi,
Please note I'm not a teacher nor a native speaker.

Isn't it the same construction as in the following sentence :

For men who were wounded and were redeemable, the hospital became their home.

Cheers,

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
What I meant is that part of your sentence makes no sense, the part below.

For millions of earlier immigrants who were............ so young that culture[STRIKE][STRIKE]s[/STRIKE][/STRIKE] barely had time to create itself

I'm not talking about the 'who were........and were.......' construction.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In any case, we're arguing over the meaning of a defective sentence.
"cultures barely had time to create itself" is ungrammatical, and it's anyone's guess what other errors are present.

wotcha

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
2006[/QUOT

alright... sorry for my stupid mistake -_-.. I meant adjective not gerund.. sorry for that...!

Of course gerund is V+ ing ..I wanted to say ' why is adjective "young" after society "

wotcha

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
hi,
Please note I'm not a teacher or a native speaker.

For millions of earlier immigrants so young that cultures barely had time to create itself, the movies became the substitute acculturation process.

Are you saying that the above sentence doesn't have a sense ?
if so why ?

cheers

It dose.. I understand the sentence and just wondering about the grammar.

Status
Not open for further replies.