Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
A man says "My name is Mark and I'm in ladder company 169"

What is the meaning of "ladder company 169"??

I got that he is working in a company that produces "ladders", I hop eI'm right! but what is "169"???

Thanks a lot.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A man says "My name is Mark and I'm in ladder company 169"

What is the meaning of "ladder company 169"??

I got that he is working in a company that produces "ladders", I hop eI'm right! but what is "169"???

Thanks a lot.

I'm pretty sure that this is how each separate fire department (ie firefighters, or firemen in BrE) are identified in America.

Edit - sorry, that should be each "fire station", not department.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I'm pretty sure that this is how each separate fire department (ie firefighters, or firemen in BrE) are identified in America.

Edit - sorry, that should be each "fire station", not department.

What do you mean? I can't get anything :oops:

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What do you mean? I can't get anything :oops:

Thanks.

The fire brigade. Firefighters. The emergency service who go out when something is on fire.

Each fire station (the building where they are based) has a number, and someone who works for the fire brigade (fire service) will work for a fire station (I think that's fire house in AmE) with a number. Each team of firefighters has a designated number, so someone who works, for example at a fire station in a specific area in a specific city, and is assigned to a specific team, will say he works for "Ladder Company 169". That's how they refer to the separate teams of firefighters.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I swear it's not clear! Really I don't know what's missing!
mmm, I still can't get what this number for??? I mean does he want to say "I work as a firefighter?"????

Because what I got that even "campany ladder" is not a company!

Sorry, I REALLY can't get what he wants to say:-:)oops:

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Like he wants to say "I work as a firefighter in a fire station no. 169"?

I that what he wants to say?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the army, you have brigades, battalions, companies, platoons, squads.

A company in an army has nothing to do with a private manufacturing company. It's just a word used to describe the division.

In a large city, the fire department has various companies as well. They are not private manufacturing companies -- they are divisions within the overall fire department.

Any four-year-old boy I've ever met can point to various fire trucks and say "that's a ladder truck" or "that's a pumper" or whatever the various types of fire trucks are. (I've never been or had a four-year-old boy, so I missed this phase.)

The ladder company has ladder trucks. They respond to a fire along with other companies, and together, they work to put out the fire.

Each company has its own number.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
In the army, you have brigades, battalions, companies, platoons, squads.

A company in an army has nothing to do with a private manufacturing company. It's just a word used to describe the division.

In a large city, the fire department has various companies as well. They are not private manufacturing companies -- they are divisions within the overall fire department.

Any four-year-old boy I've ever met can point to various fire trucks and say "that's a ladder truck" or "that's a pumper" or whatever the various types of fire trucks are. (I've never been or had a four-year-old boy, so I missed this phase.)

The ladder company has ladder trucks. They respond to a fire along with other companies, and together, they work to put out the fire.

Each company has its own number.

Thanks a lot. Yes, I got it when you kinldy referred to the army :oops: (it's something like a team" He means to say "I work as a figherfighter on ladder trucks (no pumping trucks) in a team no. 196" :oops:

THAAAANKS.:up:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status