Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: All

  1. #1
    Atchan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Somali
      • Home Country:
      • Somalia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,991

    All

    After the determiner “all” do we need to add “S” to the next noun or not? Does it have a standard or we add “S” to the noun when we want that (randomly).

    For example:
    All boy
    All boys

    All vermin
    All vermins

    All soldiers
    All soldier

    Cheers!

  2. #2
    julianna's Avatar
    julianna is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Algeria
      • Current Location:
      • Algeria
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    283

    Re: All

    we need the "s", we say; all boyS, all vermins....

  3. #3
    r.wohgelfahrt is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1

    Re: All

    All boy
    All boys

    All vermin
    All vermins (Doesn't exist as far as I know)

    All soldiers
    All soldier

    You should say:
    Every boy
    Every soldier

    P.S: I'm a newbie.

  4. #4
    Atchan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Somali
      • Home Country:
      • Somalia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,991

    Re: All

    Quote Originally Posted by r.wohgelfahrt View Post
    All boy
    All boys

    All vermin
    All vermins (Doesn't exist as far as I know)

    All soldiers
    All soldier

    You should say:
    Every boy
    Every soldier

    P.S: I'm a newbie.
    Does it have a principle or we should check it on the dictionary whether is right or not.

  5. #5
    julianna's Avatar
    julianna is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Algeria
      • Current Location:
      • Algeria
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    283

    Re: All

    The 'all' refers to the plural, so we must add the 's' at the end of it's word.

  6. #6
    Atchan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Somali
      • Home Country:
      • Somalia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,991

    Re: All

    Quote Originally Posted by julianna View Post
    The 'all' refers to the plural, so we must add the 's' at the end of it's word.
    That is what I think. Thank you

  7. #7
    TheParser is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6,742

    Re: All

    Quote Originally Posted by atchan View Post
    After the determiner “all” do we need to add “S” to the next noun or not? Does it have a standard or we add “S” to the noun when we want that (randomly).

    For example:
    All boy
    All boys

    All vermin
    All vermins

    All soldiers
    All soldier

    Cheers!
    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****

    Hello, Atchan.

    (1) I believe that every dictionary says that the word "vermin" is

    both singular AND plural. The word "verminS" does NOT exist:

    (a) That horrible person is a vermin. (singular)

    (b) His clothes were full of vermin. (plural)

    ***** Thank you for your question *****

  8. #8
    Atchan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Somali
      • Home Country:
      • Somalia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,991

    Re: All

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****

    Hello, Atchan.

    (1) I believe that every dictionary says that the word "vermin" is

    both singular AND plural. The word "verminS" does NOT exist:

    (a) That horrible person is a vermin. (singular)

    (b) His clothes were full of vermin. (plural)

    ***** Thank you for your question *****
    Really I like you my friend, because you are helpful and your advises and answers are clear, so clear.

    Thank you.

  9. #9
    Nightmare85's Avatar
    Nightmare85 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,327

    Re: All

    atchan, let me add something
    Advise is a verb.
    Advice is a noun.
    Advices does not exist.

    Really(,) I like you my friend, because you are helpful and your advice and answers are clear, so clear.

    So, is it better to say, "Every vermin" instead of "All vermin"?
    I think "every" is correct, "all" is wrong - am I right?


    Cheers!

  10. #10
    Jaskin is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    516

    Re: All

    Hi,
    Please note I'm not a teacher nor a native speaker

    Every + singular noun,
    all + plural noun

    Vermin is a plural noun

    Cheers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •