Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Singapore's Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew said on Friday evening that Singapore needs to develop a more advanced bond market.

Speaking at the annual dinner of Association of Banks in Singapore, Lee said that Singapore need to develop bond market to improve liquidity in capital markets, in the face of high savings rates and high debt-to-capital ratios.

He added that Singapore's local banks may need to consolidate if they want to effectively expand overseas.

Why is 'need' used instead of 'needed'? Is it a typo?

Thanks in advance.

Daryl.L

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
----Not a teacher----

Sorry that I can't answer your question. But I would replaced "Singapore need to develop" with "Singapore is needed to develop"

I am curious about what answers teachers would give you.

LiuJing

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think it is an error. 'needs' would work perfectly, even if it is in an indirect quote.

hemmin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Orignial quote: Singapore's Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew said on Friday evening that Singapore needs to develop a more advanced bond market.- this is correct
we cannot write -Singapore's Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew said on Friday evening that Singapore needed to develope .....
He is talking about the futuristic growth- and not about the something of the event... hence 'needs' is correct.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree with the last two posts. I think it's an error and should read "needs", in line with the first sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.