Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Germany
Hello
One of my colleagues goes back to his hometown as one of his relatives is seriously ill (he would probably die soon).

I would like to apologize if my words above are too harsh but I need some help and guidance with this type of vocabulary.

So here are a few questions that I would like to ask for your help.
A. How do you call someone that is seriously ill (someone that might die e.g due to cancer) in a formal way?
B. How do you try to support their relatives? In my country we use phrases like "courage" but I am sure that this does not apply to English language.
C. What do you wish to their relatives, "Be strong", "condolences (this applies to a dead man. Right?)", "I am sorry to hear that". "Sympathies"

Best Regards
Alex

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hello
One of my colleagues goes back to his hometown as one of his relatives is seriously ill (he would probably die soon).

I would like to apologize if my words above are too harsh but I need some help and guidance with this type of vocabulary.

A. How do you call someone that is seriously ill (someone that might die e.g due to cancer) in a formal way?
the terminally ill

B. How do you try to support their relatives? In my country we use phrases like "courage" but I am sure that this does not apply to English language.
My heart goes out to you
I feel for you
Hope the best for you ...
We keep you in our prayers..

C. What do you wish to their relatives, "Be strong", "condolences (this applies to a dead man. Right?)", "I am sorry to hear that". "Sympathies"

Best Regards
Alex

summer rain

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello

First I am NOT a teacher but I would like to give you some suggestions
And I am very sorry for your friend..:-(

As for the first point that has to do with calling an ill person formally, sorry:roll:... I cannot help you with that maby because I did not really understand what you meant by that point

In order to support his family you should tell them to have strong faith in God and to pray for their ill family member.

If you want to condole someone when they have lost a dear person you could simply say :" Please accept my deepest condolences" or " If you need anything please do not hesitate to let me know" or " If there's anything I could do please do let me know"

I hope these suggestions could be of help for you
And again I am really sorry for your friend :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.