Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    LiuJing is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    212

    feeling /fee-ling/ feel-ling

    Teachers, have you ever heard the word feeling pronounced as 'feel-ling' rather than 'fee-ling'?

    Thank you.

    (Someone told me it is southern AmE.)

  2. #2
    Rover_KE is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    31,864

    Re: feeling /fee-ling/ feel-ling

    The short answer is no.

    If anybody writes in to say they use two separate Ls I'll be more than surprised.

    Rover

  3. #3
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    25,679

    Re: feeling /fee-ling/ feel-ling

    There are plenty of examples here:

    YouTube - Morris Albert - Feelings (lyrics)

  4. #4
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,916

    Re: feeling /fee-ling/ feel-ling

    Quote Originally Posted by LiuJing View Post
    Teachers, have you ever heard the word feeling pronounced as 'feel-ling' rather than 'fee-ling'?

    ...
    There's a third possibility*: 'feel-ing'. I think songs may be a little misleading - if you're looking for everyday speech patterns. A lot of singers will choose to leave a syllable open and tack the consonant onto the following syllable (though the less formal, electrically amplified singers of today aren't so interested in sonorousness). In this case the dark l of /fi:l/ becomes the clear l of /lɪŋ/.

    *I'm talking about logic, not practice. I generally use, and hear, the dark l; but it varies.

    b
    Last edited by BobK; 03-Jul-2010 at 15:22. Reason: Fixed IPA ŋ

  5. #5
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    25,679

    Re: feeling /fee-ling/ feel-ling

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    There's a third possibility*: 'feel-ing'. I think songs may be a little misleading - if you're looking for everyday speech patterns. A lot of singers will choose to leave a syllable open and tack the consonant onto the following syllable (though the less formal, electrically amplified singers of today aren't so interested in sonorousness). In this case the dark l of /fi:l/ becomes the clear l of /lɪɲ/.

    *I'm talking about logic, not practice. I generally use, and hear, the dark l; but it varies.

    b
    Yes, I'd never suggest that songs in general are a good way to judge pronunciation, but I couldn't help posting this one.

  6. #6
    konungursvia's Avatar
    konungursvia is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,104

    Re: feeling /fee-ling/ feel-ling

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Yes, I'd never suggest that songs in general are a good way to judge pronunciation, but I couldn't help posting this one.
    On the other hand, songs can tell us a great deal about the slowed-down correct pronunciation of the language, although certain deformations are allowed ("Baby I'm a want you...").

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •