Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Teachers, have you ever heard the word feeling pronounced as 'feel-ling' rather than 'fee-ling'?

Thank you.

(Someone told me it is southern AmE.)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The short answer is no.

If anybody writes in to say they use two separate Ls I'll be more than surprised.

Rover

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Teachers, have you ever heard the word feeling pronounced as 'feel-ling' rather than 'fee-ling'?

There's a third possibility*: 'feel-ing'. I think songs may be a little misleading - if you're looking for everyday speech patterns. A lot of singers will choose to leave a syllable open and tack the consonant onto the following syllable (though the less formal, electrically amplified singers of today aren't so interested in sonorousness). In this case the dark l of /fi:l/ becomes the clear l of /lɪŋ/.

*I'm talking about logic, not practice. I generally use, and hear, the dark l; but it varies.

b

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
There's a third possibility*: 'feel-ing'. I think songs may be a little misleading - if you're looking for everyday speech patterns. A lot of singers will choose to leave a syllable open and tack the consonant onto the following syllable (though the less formal, electrically amplified singers of today aren't so interested in sonorousness). In this case the dark l of /fi:l/ becomes the clear l of /lɪɲ/.

*I'm talking about logic, not practice. I generally use, and hear, the dark l; but it varies.

b
Yes, I'd never suggest that songs in general are a good way to judge pronunciation, but I couldn't help posting this one.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yes, I'd never suggest that songs in general are a good way to judge pronunciation, but I couldn't help posting this one.

On the other hand, songs can tell us a great deal about the slowed-down correct pronunciation of the language, although certain deformations are allowed ("Baby I'm a want you...").

Status
Not open for further replies.