Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether the following sentence is verisimilitude?

The present writer of those lines does not know the further fortune of its heroes.

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether the following sentence is verisimilitude?

The present writer of those lines does not know the further fortune of its heroes.

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

For a start, your question is ungrammatical. Verisimilitude is a very uncommon word for truth which would be understood by a very small percentage of readers.

I'm guessing you mean '. . . whether the following sentence is true.'

"The present writer of those lines does not know the further fortune of its heroes."

We need context to answer your question; at least the previous sentence, as we need to read 'those lines' and have no way of knowing what its refers to.

Rover

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi Rover KE,

Thank you for your due note concerning the misused word in my question of my original post. I absolutely agree with you. There is more comprehensible word for the present case as correct or right or likely.

I was misled by the following definition I came across in my dictionary.
verisimilitude = the quality or state of being verisimilar; the appearance of truth; the quality of seeming to be true; probability; likelihood

As for the very word verisimilitude,in my humble opinion, it is very often used word in my area. It have to be understandable, at least, by the fellow-citizen of Chaucer.
Here are a few examples as an illustration of my words above.
Several other citations of real events or persons augment the verisimilitude of the tale.
Your sentence is beyond the bounds of verisimilitude.
In regard to my botched sentence “The present writer of those lines does not know the further fortune of its heroes.” I suggest that the following version will satisfy your classic taste.

The man writing these lines does not know the future of its heroes. or maybe

The one writing these lines does not know the further fortune of its heroes.

Unfortunately there is no context. The sentence of question is an independent component from my homework. I had to translate a few sentences from Bulgarian to English laying particular stress on the proper usage of Gerund and Participle sort of:

The whirling going man, and laughing girls in their transparent muslin who, even now, after dancing all night, were taking their absurd woolly dogs for a run.

Thank you again for your kindness.

Regards,

V.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.