Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
UK
Hello!

Are theses sentences grammatically correct?

-There are two types of Presents Perfect.

-What's "gâteau" in English?

-When he says this to you, understand it as a compliment.

Thanks a lot

W

xpert

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Malaysia
Actually, you can add the word 'tense'. However, there is only one present perfect in English.

-What's "gâteau" in English?
:tick: You can also say, what does a .... mean in English?

-When he says this to you, understand it as a compliment.
Using the word 'understand' in the imperative mood sounds awkward -at least to me - because it is a stative verb not an action one.

-When he said this to you, I understood it as a compliment.

I hope I helped you, bro

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher.

I don't see any problem with "understand" as an imperative.

xpert

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Malaysia
I don't see any problem with "understand" as an imperative.

Stative verbs are not normally used in the imperative mood
because we cannot order someone to be in a certain state

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's perfectly understandable. He is telling the other person how to interpret what a third person says.

I could say to my daughter, "When I ask you if you have set the table for dinner, understand it to mean you should do it now."

I am telling her how to understand what I am saying.

I don't think "understand" is a "stative" verb in this usage. It's not expressing a state, it's an action of going from one way of thinking to another.

xpert

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Malaysia
What you wrote sounds reasonable :-D

Heterological

Member Type
English Teacher
The rules for stative verb usage as laid out in the grammar books are yet another source of annoyance for me. Almost all stative verbs either have an action meaning, which often isn't so different from their stative definition, or they are used idiomatically in the progressive, imperative, or whatever else they're not supposed to be used in anyway. There must be a better way to teach students to say, "I come from Uganda" rather than "I'm coming from Uganda" without having them memorize a long list of stative verbs and an even longer list of the exceptions.

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Stative verbs usually refer to a state or condition which is quite static or unchanging. They can be divided into verbs of perception or cognition (which refer to things in the mind), or verbs of relation (which describe the relationships between things).

Note that we CANNOT use these verbs in the continuous (progressive) forms; you CAN'T say "*Yong is owning three cars." Owning is a state, not an action, so it is always in the simple form.

Heterological

Member Type
English Teacher
That's precisely the problem, though: there are so many exceptions. No, you don't say someone is "owning" a car, but:

McDonald's slogan is "I'm loving it." (Love is a stative verb, but has been used in the progressive at least as far back as 1965, when Otis Redding released "I've Been Loving You Too Long.")

"Do you see where I'm coming from?" is a common idiomatic expression meaning, "do you understand my position/motivation?" Yet "come" is a stative verb.

Every stative verb relating to senses and perceptions has an active usage as well: consider ache, feel, hear, hurt, look, notice, observe, perceive, see, smell, sound, and taste.

I recently tried to help my students understand the concept by compiling a list of stative verbs from various textbooks, then putting asterisks next to the ones that can be used in the progressive under certain circumstances. Guess what? More than half of them turned out to have exceptions.

I had another idea for a rule of thumb to help them understand whether or not something could be used in the progressive, without having to memorize so much. We had played charades the week before, so I told them that if the verb was something you could possibly act out, then it could be used in the progressive. For example, the word "indicate" is listed as a stative verb, but it can be used in the active sense of "point out." If you are using it in that sense, it is possible to convey the meaning with gestures.

Unfortunately, I don't think it made a lot of sense to them, so I went back to the lists. Still, I think there has got to be a better way.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Two or three months ago, I asked if anyone could come up with a stative verb that couldn't be used progressively.
The challenge is still open.

Will17

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
UK
Actually, you can add the word 'tense'. However, there is only one present perfect in English.

Thanks a lot.

There are two types of Presents Perfect in English: The Present Perfect Simple and the Present Perfect Continuous. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.