• Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Cool This /That

Hello!

I sometimes have problems understanding how we use "this" and "that". I understand the theory but I regularly hear counter-examples!

Anyway, Can we say: Who told you this? Or Do we have to say "that" in this case?

Thanks
    W

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: This /That

Quote Originally Posted by Will17 View Post
    Hello!

I sometimes have problems understanding how we use "this" and "that". I understand the theory but I regularly hear counter-examples!

Anyway, Can we say: Who told you this? Or Do we have to say "that" in this case?

Thanks
    W
    We use “this or that” while referring to objects that are nearby or away in space or time. In other words 'this' refers to 'here' and 'now' whereas 'that' to 'there' and 'then'.
    But here, the usage refers to something which can be a concept or idea or news. So ‘that’ is preferable if that something is not nearby, or previously mentioned (which is usually the case).

Re: This /That

Sarat is correct, and you'd do well to follow that advice on an English exam. However, in daily conversations among native speakers, the rules are much more relaxed; "that" can be used for almost anything near or far, past or present.