• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Need help

Is there a place where I can find phrases and words that are commonly used in business writing.

Ex: to the management or to a client.

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Need help

Quote Originally Posted by 2010 View Post
    Is there a place where I can find phrases and words that are commonly used in business writing.

Ex: to the management or to a client.

Thank you.
    Do a Google search for "Business English", and you'll probably find what you want.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I make my living doing business writing.

It's not that different from other writing:
    You need to fully understand the purpose of what you're trying to write
    You need to know the audience, including their knowledge of industry-jargon
    You need to write clearly and not try to sound "fancy." Using passive is not formal. It's just wordy (a lot of the time).
    You need to remember that a person, a real human, will read what you write, but you also need to remember that what you write might be preserved, so speak in "human" but don't be overly casual.

Some of the things you see as being typical of "business" writing would not allow me to keep my job: As per the aforementioned discussion that occurred on ... that type of phrasing is not really "business-speak" and no one likes it. "As we discussed" is fine.

Purpose. Audience. Message. Understand those things and you'll be fine.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Thanks Barb for your advice! Very much appreciated and surely I will follow.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Hi again,
    I just noticed that you're in India.

Let me add another note to the "audience" message -- not only their knowledge, but their culture will be important.

I've stopped reviewing one poster's texts here because my American instincts want to make them short and to the point, whereas I was told that in India, the type of flowery language he uses is expected.

So, while some of the style of typical Indian correspondence would be too wordy and "fluffy" for an American audience, the short, concise nature of American communications would be rude for an Indian audience.

For example, if I had to send you an e-mail, I would probably just write,

Hi 2010,
    Attached is the current draft of LEED consulting brochure. Joe Smith asked me to send it to you to get your input. I'm hoping to have the next draft finished by the end of this week. I know that it's not much notice, but if you could possibly review it and let me know your thoughts by the close of business tomorrow, I would really appreciate it. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Barb

I think this might be considered a bit short and abrupt for an Indian business culture?
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Hi again,
    I just noticed that you're in India.

Let me add another note to the "audience" message -- not only their knowledge, but their culture will be important.

I've stopped reviewing one poster's texts here because my American instincts want to make them short and to the point, whereas I was told that in India, the type of flowery language he uses is expected.

So, while some of the style of typical Indian correspondence would be too wordy and "fluffy" for an American audience, the short, concise nature of American communications would be rude for an Indian audience.

For example, if I had to send you an e-mail, I would probably just write,

Hi 2010,
    Attached is the current draft of LEED consulting brochure. Joe Smith asked me to send it to you to get your input. I'm hoping to have the next draft finished by the end of this week. I know that it's not much notice, but if you could possibly review it and let me know your thoughts by the close of business tomorrow, I would really appreciate it. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Barb

I think this might be considered a bit short and abrupt for an Indian business culture?
    Thanks Barb!

This is exactly my manager, who is an American, drafts emails.

I am used to drafting this way. But my concern was regarding the Business technical terms. I don't know how to explain them here. I will probably think about it and let you know. I will in the mean time google it as suggested earlier and try if it helps to get what I want.

Thank you very much though for taking your time in helping me!

I am very much impressed.

Thank you again.