"Advice" and "advise"

Status
Not open for further replies.

raymcfetridge

Member Type
Academic
Microsoft Outlook's spell checker incorrectly flags the words "advice" and "advise." "Advice" is a noun and "advise" is a verb. The spell checker has this backwards. I see on-line forums that refer to this error as long ago as 2006, yet the error remains. I have many examples of emails from colleagues who now have these errors in their emails. I believe that Outlook has a responsibility to correct errors since they affect so many people. I have tried to contact them but they do not reply. Has anyone else had success in informing them of this error?

Thanks

Ray

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I just typed "Could you advice me..." in Outlook and I got the blue "word choice" squiggle as I should, suggesting that I meant "advise." I've set Outlook to use Word as the word processor in composing my e-mail. I wonder if that makes a difference.

PlacidRan

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would type the letter using Word first, then copy-paste the whole text into Outlook. Ignore Outlook's spelling/grammar checker.

raymcfetridge

Member Type
Academic
It is sad that Outlook needs the help of another program to get some simple spelling right. I really do not want the extra steps of writing an email in Word and then copying it into Outlook.

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
It is sad that Outlook needs the help of another program to get some simple spelling right. I really do not want the extra steps of writing an email in Word and then copying it into Outlook.

Thanks for providing me with one more reason to give students as to why they shouldn't rely so heavily on those gosh-darn computer programs.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States

Thanks for providing me with one more reason to give people as to why they shouldn't rely on Microsoft or any other proprietary software.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Outlook is a Microsoft product, as is Word. You don't have to write it in Word first and paste it in. You simply choose within the Outlook e-mail menu that you want Word to be your default e-mail editor.

The same shortcuts I've set up Word are thus available to me in Outlook.

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
There are dozens of free email clients available.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I don't honestly think that Microsoft develop their language tools that much- I think they started out with good intentions and backed off once they'd become aware of the complexity. They seem to progress at a much slower rate than the rest of their software.

(Yet another Linux user, though I can't say I have seen much better in terms of language software there)

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
(Yet another Linux user, though I can't say I have seen much better in terms of language software there)

One of the main points pro free software is that anyone can contribute to the tools development. Language is not as easy as mathematics, but if we unite efforts it is possible to advance further.

Free software is not only Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.