Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
years ago when i was a student, i learned from my teacher people use the word "colored" to refer to black people. but later i also heard the criticism to the effect that it assumes the sense of white-centeredness. what is the most appropriate way to refer to black people? and what's the situaion in the publishing?

in this connection, the word "brown" refers to their color per se? or does it refer to those who adapt themselves to white people society? to put it another way, if there are only a few black people and all other members are white in a group ( or a job field or living area or whatever that may be), are they called "brown"?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The preferred nomenclature of people in the United States whose ancestral origin is in Africa has changed over the years.

There is a venerable organization called the "National Association for the Advancement of Colored People."

But "colored" hasn't been the preferred term for at least 40 years.

"African-American" is the preferred term now. But that is a mouthful to say all of the time, so "black" is also used.

I would never say "brown."

optimistic pessimist

Member Type
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I'm not a teacher.

in this connection, the word "brown" refers to their color per se? or does it refer to those who adapt themselves to white people society?

This reminds me of a term "Oreo", which comes from Oreo cookies. I heard from somebody (or read somewhere) that the black people who are succeccful in the white-dominated society and behave like whites are called "Oreo" by African Americans with contempt. They are called so because they look black outside, but are white inside.

OP

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.