Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Please tell me the stative verbs that can be used in progressive aspect.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Please tell me the stative verbs that can be used in progressive aspect.
Given the correct context, all of them can be.

If you're being taught they can't be, then don't use them that way in an exam. But don't be surprised when you hear them being used progressively.

harum

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Thanks for reply
In the following sentences 'agree' and 'appear' is used with -ing.Is this construction right?

The difficulty with these systems was agreeing who would maintain them in the future .

No wonder lines were appearing on his face.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks for reply
In the following sentences 'agree' and 'appear' is used with -ing.Is this construction right?

The difficulty with these systems was agreeing who would maintain them in the future .
Agreeing is a gerund here, not a present participle. Nobody "was agreeing". This sentence means:
The difficulty with these systems [Subject] was [Copula Verb] agreeing [gerund noun ] who would maintain them in the future [Complement]. OR
"Agreeing who would maintain them in future [Subject] was [Copula Verb] the difficulty [noun] with the system [Complement].

Still, you can write a progressive sentence with "agree".
"It was a strange discussion. I couldn't tell if they were agreeing or not."

No wonder lines were appearing on his face.
Good.
R.

joelsensei

Member Type
English Teacher
Hello,

Many stative verbs can mix with grammatical progressive aspect. As you may already know, stative verbs have a permanency and unchanging aspect to them which is why using progressive aspect with it would make some pretty funny and redundant sounding sentences (ex. I am knowing this question / I know this question). However, if you hear stative verbs being used with progressive aspect, a temporary/hypothetical state and internally viewed sense is expressed. For example:

"I'm far more comfortable knowing that Israel has nuclear weapons than I am knowing that Iran is trying to posses them."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello,

Many stative verbs can mix with grammatical progressive aspect. As you may already know, stative verbs have a permanency and unchanging aspect to them which is why using progressive aspect with it would make some pretty funny and redundant sounding sentences (ex. I am knowing this question / I know this question). However, if you hear stative verbs being used with progressive aspect, a temporary/hypothetical state and internally viewed sense is expressed. For example:

Yes.

"I'm far more comfortable knowing that Israel has nuclear weapons than I am knowing that Iran is trying to posses them."
Are you sure about this example? Again, it seems not to be "aux of "to be" + present participle" -> present progressive tense.

Doesn't it mean:
"I'm far more comfortable knowing that Israel has nuclear weapons than I am comfortable knowing that Iran is trying to posses them."?
It doesn't mean "I am more uncomfortable now that I am knowing that Iran is trying to possess them." (which would be an example, but a bad one.)

Again, "I'm more uncomfortable knowing this than I am knowing that." is not an example of a stative verb used progressively because there's an ellipted "uncomfortable".

Isn't "knowing" a gerund in your example? "Knowing this makes me more uncomfortable than knowing that."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I agree with Raymott- I don't see that as 'I am knowing'; if it were, couldn't we delete the first part of the sentence and simply start with 'I am knowing'?

joelsensei

Member Type
English Teacher
Are you sure about this example? Again, it seems not to be "aux of "to be" + present participle" -> present progressive tense.

Doesn't it mean:
"I'm far more comfortable knowing that Israel has nuclear weapons than I am comfortable knowing that Iran is trying to posses them."?
It doesn't mean "I am more uncomfortable now that I am knowing that Iran is trying to possess them." (which would be an example, but a bad one.)

Again, "I'm more uncomfortable knowing this than I am knowing that." is not an example of a stative verb used progressively because there's an ellipted "uncomfortable".

Isn't "knowing" a gerund in your example? "Knowing this makes me more uncomfortable than knowing that."

Raymott,

You're quite right, and I didn't realize it until I was on the train heading to school. The example I gave is a gerund following an ellipted predicate adjective. However, the main thrust of what I was saying is still valid. Stative verbs when used in a hypothetical or temporary state and internally viewed can and are used with progressive aspect.

"Of course, we could say that in the 1950s, we were knowing so little about space that our visions were naive."

harum

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Hello
I want your help again.In the following sentence 'Denying' is verb or something else.
"There is no denying the fact that such data is also required".

AmyYvonne

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello
I want your help again.In the following sentence 'Denying' is verb or something else.

maybe this helps - "It is fact that such data is also required."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello

"Denying" is not a part of the verb. Again, it's a gerund.
"Denying the fact that such data is also required is not possible."

harum

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
"Denying" is not a part of the verb. Again, it's a gerund.
"Denying the fact that such data is also required is not possible."
Thanks alot
Actually I'm doing research in this field.Your suggestions are very helpful for me.And i'll keep on disturbing you again and again:). Can I?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks alot
Actually I'm doing research in this field.Your suggestions are very helpful for me.And i'll keep on disturbing you again and again:). Can I?
Yes, but start a new thread for each new topic. If I do not answer, someone else will.

joelsensei

Member Type
English Teacher
Hi Harum,

Denying is a verb but functioning as a subjective compliment, or predicate nominative. One clue is "no" preceding "denying." "no denying" isn't negating the verb "to deny", because negating a verb requires "not", but modifying a noun, "denying ..." Another example would be "there were no whales in sight," which "no" is a negative determiner modifying the plural noun "whales."

harum

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Hello Sir
Is 'Do' stative verb?
In
'He was getting pairs, colours, rounds, colour rounds'.
getting is what,is it stative verb with progressive aspect?

harum

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Yes, but start a new thread for each new topic. If I do not answer, someone else will.
Hello
Is there increase in the use of progressive with stative aspect in british english?

Pedroski

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
'Denying is a verb but functioning as a subjective compliment, or predicate nominative.'

You mean in : "There is no denying the fact that such data is also required".

If denying were a verb, I could simply write: *I denying that. I prefer to write 'I deny that.'

I tend to think, it is what it does. As you correctly stated, 'no' is here a determiner like German 'kein'. As verbs don't take determiners, it is a noun.

'He is denying everything,' said the detective.
'Denying is everything,' said his lawyer.

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
A learner

I must say that I do not like putting the state verbs like know, like etc, into continues forms.

I am knowing is pretty unacceptable for me.
I am liking you is completely unacceptable for me.

I know is pretty good.
I like you is more than pretty good.

I can't like you at the moment and not after five minutes or tomorrow and then like you again after tomorrow.

Pedroski

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
I mentioned elsewhere, I have often heard Indians say 'I am knowing that.' I think it must be a translation from Hindi. Who knows Hindi??

Status
Not open for further replies.