Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi, I looked up the word "basket" and found that the dictionary shows the pronunciation of the "et" in "basket" as "it".
I think it should be "et". The accent is not at the second syllable "et" so the pronunciation of "et" is not important. On the other hand, when not emphasizing on "et", the pronunciation of it as "et" or "it" also makes me feel the same sound.
There are many similar words such as "secret", "market", "covet", ...
Please show me the truth.
Thank you so much !

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I've no intention of contradicting your dictionary on this point.

I recommend that you accept it as the truth.

Rover

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi, I looked up the word "basket" and found that the dictionary shows the pronunciation of the "et" in "basket" as "it".
I think it should be "et". The accent is not at the second syllable "et" so the pronunciation of "et" is not important. On the other hand, when not emphasizing on "et", the pronunciation of it as "et" or "it" also makes me feel the same sound.
There are many similar words such as "secret", "market", "covet", ...
Please show me the truth.
Thank you so much !

[FONT=&quot]You'll find this in British dictionaries, and maybe they do really say[FONT=&quot]/ɪt/ at the end of words. You'll also see the '-ed' ending of past tense verbs, eg. ‘wanted’ transcribed as /[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ɪ[/FONT][FONT=&quot]d/.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I pronounce these words as /[FONT=&quot]ət/ and /əd/, and this is what I hear mostly on both American and British TV.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So whenever you see this at the end of words, you can assume that many people use a schwa.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]However, [FONT=&quot]/[/FONT][FONT=&quot]et/ and /ed/ are not right.[/FONT][/FONT]

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thank you. My thoughts derive from the trick to remember words better, you know when I pronounce "et" in "secret" as /et/, I will not be confused with the word "secrit" although this has no meaning in English. Besides, I try pronouncing 'et' as /et/ instead of /it/ with no accent, its sound is rather like the sound when pronouncing as /it/. When listening the song 'Fool again' (shown by Westlife) , I think the "et" in the word "secret" was pronounced as /et/ likely than /it/.
Now I have found the truth with your help, but I will keep my trick, and I think you would not find much difference between the two ways of pronunciation when I pronounce "et" as /et/ and you will understand what I say.
Thank you very much !

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Be careful with using songs as sources of pronunciation- you will often come across pronunciations that are the result of the requirements of a tune and are different from everyday conversation. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.