English Teacher Rookie

Status
Not open for further replies.

letterstoyou

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello!

I'm planning to start an English teaching career overseas and would like to get advise on the steps i should take. I am currently employed in the advertising/marketing and digital media industry as a copywriter/account manager here in the Philippines. As some of you might not know, English is the language used in schools here from start up to the university level but i understand i'm still not considered a "native speaker" as most good language school prefer but still i'd like to obtain some training, certificate etc. that would help me.

I was originally planning to take a CELTA course in Vietnam as it's the one nearest and i could not find any CELTA program here in the Philippines but i was advised by some that i should get a basic TEFL course first then get relevant teaching experience overseas (Asia), proceed with my planned CELTA course to get certificate and apply for a teaching job in Europe (My plan is Moscow or Spain). I'm ok with this plan although i think it's too long and if there's any way i can achieve my goals faster, i'd gladly take it.

So i'd like to ask for your opinions, comments etc. on what should i do. Should i get a TEFL course first or can i directly proceed with the CELTA if i get accepted? Sorry i'm still a beginner here but i'm really serious with my plans.

Thank you so much for your time.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'm afraid you will get conflicting advice about whether to start by doing a CELTA or getting some experience first. I favour getting straight to the CELTA as it will open doors to better work.

I've seen plenty of complaints about teachers from the Philippines being classified as non-natives in some countries, and it does look like a bit of a scam and a way to pay less to be honest.

letterstoyou

Member Type
Student or Learner
Wow things like those happen? well it is bound to and i hear some schools really won't accept you unless you're a visa holder from the so called "native speaker" countries. It's actually sad. But it's worth trying and i'm sure some are still nice enough to try you specially if they see your capabilities right?

So CELTA? it's really what i want to do since both are priced the same and they're not so cheap so i would save more by taking the CELTA right away. My only drawback is that i have no teaching experience whatsoever and i might have hard time with it? i don't just want to pass. I'm aiming to get a high grade and definitely not fail. Is this really something i should consider?

And where do most teachers from the Philippines work? Country? if i may ask please.

Thank you for your response by the way. Have a good day! :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I am not sure how widespread this is, but you can find such complaints on forums about the practice, mostly in a couple of countries in SE Asia- check things carefully.

Can you get any experience before you do the course?

rx-f

Member Type
English Teacher
I did my CELTA before gaining any experience. It made a massive positive difference right from the start. I agree completely with Tdol: get your CELTA.

You will find it difficult, yes; but if you work hard and really listen to the advice and criticism you're given, you'll pass, and you'll be a much better teacher for it.

Where I've been working for the last couple years (Japan), few English teachers have any qualification - and without meaning to be unkind, it shows.

It's true that a lot of schools require you to be a native speaker. Then again, many will just require you to demonstrate your English ability. You might find greater opportunities in some countries than in others. Do you know where you'd like to teach?

letterstoyou

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello!
Thanks to all of you!

My target is really Moscow since i'm planning to migrate and live there in the future but i know it will be hard since most of my apprehensions in doing this exist in there like the bias towards native speakers etc. and they don't want to work with someone who's not a US or UK visa holder. But of course, i won't stop trying right?

If not, i think Asia would be a good start for me. Where do you guys teach and where are you originally from if i may ask?

Still confused on the CELTA/TESOL though cause i heard this story of someone who really struggled with the CELTA after having no prior experience in teaching and teaching english at all.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Things vary from country to country- EU law means that it is harder for non-EU people to get jobs. There's a forum here on Russia where you might be able to get advice from people teaching there: ELT World Discussion :: View Forum - Russia, Ukraine & Kazakhstan I am afraid that I know very little about the requirements/opportunities there.

rx-f

Member Type
English Teacher
I was mostly brought up in the UK and took my CELTA there. After that, I taught for two years in Japan and am about to go to Egypt.

I think most people find the CELTA course really hard work. You should know, though, that the percentage of people who fail the course is very low. If you enter "celta pass rate" or something similar into a search engine, you'll be quoted failure rates of 1-5%, depending on the training center.

Where I studied, we were told that almost all trainees pass, about a quarter get a B, and 4% achieve an A. Most people who get an A, my trainer told me, had extensive teaching experience prior to taking the course or possess a degree in a TEFL-related course.

There are two main reasons for the very high pass rate:

-First, they test and interview you before the course begins, so they that know your English is good enough and that you're capable of passing.

-Second, assessment takes place continually throughout the course. You get feedback throughout every day of the course. Your trainers will tell you when you get something wrong, and help you to correct that behavior right away.

Your trainers want you to pass and do what they can to get you through the course. It's not at all in their interest to produce students who don't meet the standard. Your trainers will be experienced, and their advice will see you through.

The senior CELTA trainer where I studied told me that the people who fail are the ones who ignore their advice, like experienced university teachers who won't break their habit of lecturing instead of involving the students.

One guy on my course almost failed because he went out partying in the evenings instead of studying. Listen to your trainers and work hard and you'll be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.