• Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

I am seeing

Hi!

Could you please let me know when we use ' I am seeing' ? Is that correct to use it? I'm confused since I've learned 'see' is a stative verb.

Thanks in advance

Re: I am seeing

Quote Originally Posted by rosa87 View Post
    Hi!

Could you please let me know when we use ' I am seeing' ? Is that correct to use it? I'm confused since I've learned 'see' is a stative verb.

Thanks in advance
    "What is that you are seeing?"
    "I am seeing a bird flying overhead."

"What I am seeing now is the planet Mars right next to the star Regulus."

"What I am seeing now is that English grammar can be very confusing."

For each of these you could substitute "see." Generally I would say that "am seeing" tends to emphasize the process of looking at something. However, in the above examples they are interchangeable.

When would you NOT say "I am seeing"? I would suggest that common parlance tends to call for "I see." "I see the ball going into the net." "I see that she is wearing a new hat."

In most cases it seems to be more direct and straightforward to say "I see."

We also use the verb "see" to mean "date" or "court," as in the early stages of a romantic relationship. "I'm seeing someone new" = "I'm dating someone new." We almost always use "see" in the progressive when it's used in this sense.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Hi!

Thanks in advance
    I'm not a native speaker but I think "I am seeing" concerns future and means "I'll meet" ... e.g. I'm seeing my girlfriend tomorrow night...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

A: I'm feeling dizzy and I'm seeing spots in front of my eyes.
    B: You should see a doctor!
    A: I'm seeing a doctor this afternoon.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Hi!

Thanks in advance

You're right. Some verbs can't be in the progressive mode. But that depends on the meaning of the verb in the sentence. Some grammarians believe it's better to use can + see, if it's progressive and about human visual perception.

However, I've heard be + seeing too. The followings can explain it better though:
    -As you are seeing, they are leaving here. (it is strange to me)
    -As you can see, they are leaving here. (this one is undoubtedly idiomatic)

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I'm not a native speaker but I think "I am seeing" concerns future and means "I'll meet" ... e.g. I'm seeing my girlfriend tomorrow night...
    Thank you for pointing this out. It is very strange, now that I think of, that we would use "I am seeing" to mean "I will be seeing" or "I will see," but that is certainly the case. I wonder how that turn of phrase arose and whether or not there are examples with yet other words. It's curious, isn't it?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by kfredson View Post
    Thank you for pointing this out. It is very strange, now that I think of, that we would use "I am seeing" to mean "I will be seeing" or "I will see," but that is certainly the case. I wonder how that turn of phrase arose and whether or not there are examples with yet other words. It's curious, isn't it?
    It is used to point out fixed future action...We usually use Present progressive for the fixed future, don't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    It is used to point out fixed future action...We usually use Present progressive for the fixed future, don't we?
    I wouldn't say that we usually do it, but it is quite often employed for future action. "I am eating with friends later this afternoon." It is not done in Spanish, as I understand it; I wonder if it occurs in other languages.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by kfredson View Post
    I wouldn't say that we usually do it, but it is quite often employed for future action. "I am eating with friends later this afternoon." It is not done in Spanish, as I understand it; I wonder if it occurs in other languages.
    I know at least two languages where this rule works....(Russian & Armenian)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast