Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi!

Could you please let me know when we use ' I am seeing' ? Is that correct to use it? I'm confused since I've learned 'see' is a stative verb.

Thanks in advance

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
Hi!

Could you please let me know when we use ' I am seeing' ? Is that correct to use it? I'm confused since I've learned 'see' is a stative verb.

Thanks in advance

"What is that you are seeing?"
"I am seeing a bird flying overhead."

"What I am seeing now is the planet Mars right next to the star Regulus."

"What I am seeing now is that English grammar can be very confusing."

For each of these you could substitute "see." Generally I would say that "am seeing" tends to emphasize the process of looking at something. However, in the above examples they are interchangeable.

When would you NOT say "I am seeing"? I would suggest that common parlance tends to call for "I see." "I see the ball going into the net." "I see that she is wearing a new hat."

In most cases it seems to be more direct and straightforward to say "I see."

Heterological

Member Type
English Teacher
We also use the verb "see" to mean "date" or "court," as in the early stages of a romantic relationship. "I'm seeing someone new" = "I'm dating someone new." We almost always use "see" in the progressive when it's used in this sense.

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi!

Thanks in advance

I'm not a native speaker but I think "I am seeing" concerns future and means "I'll meet" ... e.g. I'm seeing my girlfriend tomorrow night...;-)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
A: I'm feeling dizzy and I'm seeing spots in front of my eyes.
B: You should see a doctor!
A: I'm seeing a doctor this afternoon.

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi!

Thanks in advance

You're right. Some verbs can't be in the progressive mode. But that depends on the meaning of the verb in the sentence. Some grammarians believe it's better to use can + see, if it's progressive and about human visual perception.

However, I've heard be + seeing too. The followings can explain it better though:
-As you are seeing, they are leaving here. (it is strange to me)
-As you can see, they are leaving here. (this one is undoubtedly idiomatic)

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
I'm not a native speaker but I think "I am seeing" concerns future and means "I'll meet" ... e.g. I'm seeing my girlfriend tomorrow night...;-)

Thank you for pointing this out. It is very strange, now that I think of, that we would use "I am seeing" to mean "I will be seeing" or "I will see," but that is certainly the case. I wonder how that turn of phrase arose and whether or not there are examples with yet other words. It's curious, isn't it?

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you for pointing this out. It is very strange, now that I think of, that we would use "I am seeing" to mean "I will be seeing" or "I will see," but that is certainly the case. I wonder how that turn of phrase arose and whether or not there are examples with yet other words. It's curious, isn't it?

It is used to point out fixed future action...We usually use Present progressive for the fixed future, don't we?:up:

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
It is used to point out fixed future action...We usually use Present progressive for the fixed future, don't we?:up:

I wouldn't say that we usually do it, but it is quite often employed for future action. "I am eating with friends later this afternoon." It is not done in Spanish, as I understand it; I wonder if it occurs in other languages.

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
I wouldn't say that we usually do it, but it is quite often employed for future action. "I am eating with friends later this afternoon." It is not done in Spanish, as I understand it; I wonder if it occurs in other languages.

I know at least two languages where this rule works....(Russian & Armenian)

IHIVG

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I know at least two languages where this rule works....(Russian & Armenian)

I can't say for Armenian since I don't speak a word of it, but it's definitely not the case with my language. Present Progressive for the future actions in Russian?! Wow! :shock: We don't even have Pr. Progressive to begin with! :)

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
As other users' answers have indicated, 'see' is generally** stative when it has its primary meaning of 'perceive visually' and always so with its secondary meaning 'notice/observe' (as in I see from your CV that you are a Harvard graduate), but dynamic when it means 'meet' (including 'the special sense of 'meet romantically', i.e. 'date').

(** Occasionally one comes across locutions such as

"I'm looking through the periscope right now, captain, and I'm seeing long lines of enemy ships lining up ready for the attack!"

where the progressive form tends to lend a greater sense of intensity/immediacy.)

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
I can't say for Armenian since I don't speak a word of it, but it's definitely not the case with my language. Present Progressive for the future actions in Russian?! Wow! :shock: We don't even have Pr. Progressive to begin with! :)

You don't even have present Perfect... I just meant in Russian we very often use Present Simple in fixed future... e.g. Завтра утром мы уезжаем на море...;-)

Я хожу на работу утром...
Сейчас я иду на работу...
Can you tell me what tenses are used in the above sentences...?

IHIVG

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
You don't even have present Perfect... I just meant in Russian we very often use Present Simple in fixed future... e.g. Завтра утром мы уезжаем на море...;-)
Верно, но это характерно только для глаголов с определённо-моторным значением (направленными действиями), вроде "лечу", "еду", "уезжаю", тогда как в английском практически любой глагол можно выразить в будущем времени, используя настоящее время.
Btw, Present Simple? Isn't it just Present?

Я хожу на работу утром...
Сейчас я иду на работу...
Can you tell me what tenses are used in the above sentences...?
There's no doubt that these are the Present Tense sentences used to describe the present.

Status
Not open for further replies.