Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 85
    #1

    the meaning of "otherwise"

    Hi,

    Imagine you ask two students, "What does the word "otherwise" mean in (1)?" and that one student says it is (2a) and the other says it is (2b).

    (1) If the light is red, stop. Otherwise, go straight on.
    (2) a. If the light is other than red
    b.Except if (or when) the light is red

    Do you agree both students are right?

    Thank you in advance
    Seiichi MYOGA

    P.S.
    I'm not asking about the possible paraphrase(s) but the meaning, of the word "otherwise."

  1. IHIVG's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 354
    #2

    Re: the meaning of "otherwise"

    Quote Originally Posted by Seiichi MYOGA View Post
    Do you agree both students are right?
    I would say yes.
    a. and b. mean the same thing.

  2. 2010's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 373
    #3

    Re: the meaning of "otherwise"

    Quote Originally Posted by Seiichi MYOGA View Post
    Hi,

    Imagine you ask two students, "What does the word "otherwise" mean in (1)?" and that one student says it is (2a) and the other says it is (2b).

    (1) If the light is red, stop. Otherwise, go straight on.
    (2) a. If the light is other than red
    b.Except if (or when) the light is red

    Do you agree both students are right?

    Thank you in advance
    Seiichi MYOGA

    P.S.
    I'm not asking about the possible paraphrase(s) but the meaning, of the word "otherwise."
    ===Not a teacher===

    1. If the light is red, stop. Otherwise (if not), go straight on.

    Otherwise = If not.

    2. When the light is red, stop. Otherwise (or else), go straight on.

    Otherwise = Or else.

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #4

    Re: the meaning of "otherwise"

    Quote Originally Posted by 2010 View Post
    ===Not a teacher===

    1. If the light is red, stop. Otherwise (if not), go straight on.

    Otherwise = If not.

    2. When the light is red, stop. Otherwise (or else), go straight on.

    Otherwise = Or else.
    I agree, but your second example is somewhat ambiguous with "or else".
    2. "When the light is red, stop.Or else, go straight on."
    That is, stop if you want to, or else go straight on - which I know is not your meaning.

    Otherwise = in all other cases.


  4. 2010's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 373
    #5

    Re: the meaning of "otherwise"

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I agree, but your second example is somewhat ambiguous with "or else".
    2. "When the light is red, stop.Or else, go straight on."
    That is, stop if you want to, or else go straight on - which I know is not your meaning.

    Otherwise = in all other cases.
    I am sorry

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Jun-2010, 02:25
  2. Understanding the meaning of "engaged" and "account"
    By fenglish in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24-Jan-2010, 07:59
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-Sep-2008, 08:27
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 22-Feb-2008, 10:22
  5. confusing words "expressed" or "express" and "named" or"names"
    By Dawood Usmani in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2007, 19:33

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •