Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    ceyg is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3

    'She can sing well as I?' Is it correct?

    Hello,

    I'm having some trouble with grammar and I'm not sure if the sentences below are correct.

    She can sing well as I.
    He can't run fast as I.

    I'd prefer to write it as 'he can't run as fast as I' but someone has pointed out that since we can say 'it is white as snow' it is also possible to write a sentence without 'as' in front of an adjective. I'd appreciate your help on this topic.

  2. #2
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    25,698

    Re: 'She can sing well as I?' Is it correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by ceyg View Post
    Hello,

    I'm having some trouble with grammar and I'm not sure if the sentences below are correct.

    She can sing well as I.
    He can't run fast as I.

    I'd prefer to write it as 'he can't run as fast as I' but someone has pointed out that since we can say 'it is white as snow' it is also possible to write a sentence without 'as' in front of an adjective. I'd appreciate your help on this topic.
    It's "as something as". We don't say "It's white as snow", we say "It's as white as snow".

  3. #3
    esltutor is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    75

    Re: 'She can sing well as I?' Is it correct?

    You need the first "as" in your two sentences.

    "We use as...as... to say that two people or things are equal in some way." --See Swan's Practical English Usage.

    Although I can't find a definitive source for you, I do believe there are going to be times when expressions or idioms without the first "as" are possible. For example, "It's good as gold," "It's right as rain," and "She's white as snow" may be fine in informal writing and speech.

    See Right as rain - Idiom Definition - UsingEnglish.com for a definition of "right as rain."

    Best,
    Debra
    Teaching ESL to Adults

  4. #4
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    19,049

    Re: 'She can sing well as I?' Is it correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by pamhilts View Post
    Yes its correct
    Did you read the posts above? It's not correct without the other "as."
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  5. #5
    TheParser is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6,738

    Re: 'She can sing well as I?' Is it correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by esltutor View Post
    You need the first "as" in your two sentences.

    "We use as...as... to say that two people or things are equal in some way." --See Swan's Practical English Usage.

    Although I can't find a definitive source for you, I do believe there are going to be times when expressions or idioms without the first "as" are possible. For example, "It's good as gold," "It's right as rain," and "She's white as snow" may be fine in informal writing and speech.

    See Right as rain - Idiom Definition - UsingEnglish.com for a definition of "right as rain."

    Best,
    Debra
    Teaching ESL to Adults
    ********** NOT A TEACHER **********

    Hello, Esltutor.

    (1) I found this source:

    Longman English Grammar (1988), page 121:

    The first "as" is often dropped in everyday expressions:

    (as) cold as ice

    (as) light as a feather

    (as) old as the hills

    ***** Thank you.

  6. #6
    Trance Freak's Avatar
    Trance Freak is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    655

    Re: 'She can sing well as I?' Is it correct?


    Isn't true that 'as+adj+as' is used when the main verb of the sentence is positive, & when the verb is negative, 'so' is used instead of 'as' ?
    -Fred works as hard as Jane.
    -Fred doesn't work so hard as Jane.

  7. #7
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    25,698

    Re: 'She can sing well as I?' Is it correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trance Freak View Post
    Isn't true that 'as+adj+as' is used when the main verb of the sentence is positive, & when the verb is negative, 'so' is used instead of 'as' ?
    -Fred works as hard as Jane.
    -Fred doesn't work so hard as Jane.
    No, whether it's positive or negative it's "as...as".

  8. #8
    Harry Smith's Avatar
    Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,928

    Re: 'She can sing well as I?' Is it correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by ceyg View Post
    Hello,

    I'm having some trouble with grammar and I'm not sure if the sentences below are correct.

    She can sing well as I.
    He can't run fast as I.

    I'd prefer to write it as 'he can't run as fast as I' but someone has pointed out that since we can say 'it is white as snow' it is also possible to write a sentence without 'as' in front of an adjective. I'd appreciate your help on this topic.
    She can sing as well as I can. ( She can sing as well as me)
    He can't run fast as I can. (He can't run as fast as me)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •