The appendix measures 66 x 5mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Magoo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Can you please tell me if the sentence 'The appendix measures 66 x 5 mm' is grammatically correct?

While I understand the meaning of the sentence (ie 'The appendix is 66mm in length and 5mm in diameter') I don't think its is grammatically correct. My main contention concerns the word 'measures'. As the definitive article is the appendix, the word measures is an adverb to it. This implies that the appendix is doing the measuring.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'The appendix measures 66mm x 5mm' is fine.

Rover

Mr Magoo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Rover,

I can understand how the following sentences are fine:
'An appendix measuring 65x6mm'
'An appendix 65mm in length and 6mm in diameter'
'An appendix that measures 65x6mm'
'This appendix measures 65x6mm'

'The' is the definite article and means that the appendix is doing the measuring. This is obviously nonsense.
'An' is an indefinate article and 'this' is an adjective which mean that the appendix isn't doing the measuring.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The appendix measures 66 x 5 mm' is grammatically correct.

It does not mean the appendix is doing the measurement. Measure also means to be a certain size or length.

It is common to say, 'a room means 4m by 3m.'.

Mr Magoo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Tedmc,

You are correct to say 'A room measures...' because it is an indefinate article. However when you say 'The room measures...' it is the definite article.

The reason I have a query about this is I had a teacher who studied grammar and he told me it was incorrect to say 'The appendix measures' because the appendix can't measure anything. I was just wondering if he was correct in saying this and so I posted here. Anway its just being pedantic.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Tedmc,

You are correct to say 'A room measures...' because it is an indefinate article. However when you say 'The room measures...' it is the definite article.

The reason I have a query about this is I had a teacher who studied grammar and he told me it was incorrect to say 'The appendix measures' because the appendix can't measure anything. I was just wondering if he was correct in saying this and so I posted here. Anway its just being pedantic.

Magoo
'The room measure 4m by 3m' would also be correct.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

You're not being pedantic: your teacher was simply talking nonsense - 'the appendix measures' is perfectly fine, where 'measures' means 'is of (a specified size)'.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have a question - which of these is or are correct:

(a) 66 x 5mm
(b) 66m x 5mm