Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Which one is correct?

The band is going in a trip/ a tour in Asia.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Both are correct, it just depends upon the meaning you are trying to express. A "trip" implies that the band is going to one destination, while a "tour" indicates that they will be visiting/working in many different pre-scheduled places during the trip. (A "trip" doesn't necessarily mean a person is only headed to one place, though; often someone might mention "I'm taking a trip to the Caribbean." Another person will then ask "Where are you going?" or "What all are you going to see?" and the first person will reply "Our first stop is the Bahamas, then we'll head to the Cayman Islands and then Jamaica.")

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
*** Not A Teacher ***

Tour means a journey made for pleasure, especially as a holiday, visiting several different places in an area.
Trip means a journey in which you go somewhere, usually for a short time, and come back again.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I thought it is "the band is going on a trip/a tour". Is there any difference? :)

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I thought it is "the band is going on a trip/a tour". Is there any difference? :)
What you wrote isn't right. "The band is going on a trip/a tour". Here going on means continue and its wrong in this sentence.
The band is going to a trip/a tour. >>> means to intend to do or be something in the future.

*** Not A Teacher ***

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What you wrote isn't right. "The band is going on a trip/a tour". Here going on means continue and its wrong in this sentence.
The band is going to a trip/a tour. >>> means to intend to do or be something in the future.

*** Not A Teacher ***

Sorry, but your correction is incorrect. We would never say "going to a trip" or "going to a tour." The original poster's "going on (a) tour" or "going on a trip" is correct.

Perhaps you meant to say "The band is going to take a trip" or "The band is going to be on tour" to indicate that the trip is planned for the future.

Please note that when we refer to a band (meaning a musical group) we usually say that they are going "on tour." We would also use the same phraseology when referring to a theatrical group playing the same show in several different locations ("the cast of A Chorus Line is on tour"). But if we are referring to a group that is touring for the purpose of vacationing and sight-seeing (rather than performing and charging admission), we say that they are "on a tour."

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I can see trip meaning more than one destination, and see tour as meaning they're working and performing as they travel, whereas just a trip would be leaving their guitars etc. at home. That's my take.

Status
Not open for further replies.