Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Can you help me to express the following sentences more naturally in English?

The anonymity of the internet makes its users behave irresponsibily. That is, users can write bad comments about other people on the internet, which sometimes lead to suicide.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
***neither a teacher nor a native-speaker***

The anomymity on the internet may easily misused by some users. For examples, those users may post outrageous accusations about the people who they don't like to some well-known, widely acknowledged websites and thus, this kind of irresponsable actions may even result in the suicide of the people being accused.

IHIVG

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

The anonymity of the Internet makes its users behave irresponsibly. That is, users can write bad comments about other people on the Internet, which sometimes leads to suicide.

I think your sentences are good as they are (except that I would cross out 'on the Internet' as it's redundant.)

P.S. Re: the last clause: does it really happen somewhere? :shock:

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

The anonymity of the internet makes its users behave irresponsibily. That is, users can write bad comments about other people on the internet, which sometimes lead to suicide.

A few issues with this before I give you my version:

(a) 'makes its users behave irresponsibly" - really? It doesn't 'make' me behave irresponsibly, I think. You mean 'certain users'
(b) 'bad comments' - you probably mean 'nasty', 'unpleasant' or, best of all, 'malicious'
(c) 'sometimes lead to suicide' - 'sometimes' suggests fairly frequently but I imagine suicide is pretty rare given how many people use the internet.

So:

"The anonymity of the internet allows people to behave irresponsibly. People are free to make malicious comments and, in some cases, this abuse has been linked to the suicide of those they target."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.