Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    JennaMa is offline Newbie

Questions!!

Okay, our school had a english exam this week and there are a few students complaining about some questions. I would like clear explainations... please.

Q1)
    I communicate with the artwork by trying to figure out how the artist created the work, what they werre thinking, and so on. Then I realize that any interpretation of their frame of mind is only my own. Thus making artwork is making a miror of the person looking at it.
    - Is it possible to use "by trying figure out" in this passage? Why is it grammatically correct/incorrect?

Q2)
    According to the Beldon Post, what was () () the fire?
    - the answer was "responsible for", but is it possible to use "cause of"?
    My opinion is that if you used "cause of", you would need to add "the" in front of it...

Please answer quickly, thanks.

IHIVG is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Re: Questions!!

Quote Originally Posted by JennaMa View Post
    Okay, our school had a english exam this week and there are a few students complaining about some questions. I would like clear explainations... please.

Q1)
    I communicate with the artwork by trying to figure out how the artist created the work, what they werre thinking, and so on. Then I realize that any interpretation of their frame of mind is only my own. Thus making artwork is making a miror of the person looking at it.
    - Is it possible to use "by trying figure out" in this passage? Why is it grammatically correct/incorrect?

Q2)
    According to the Beldon Post, what was () () the fire?
    - the answer was "responsible for", but is it possible to use "cause of"?
    My opinion is that if you used "cause of", you would need to add "the" in front of it...

Please answer quickly, thanks.
    Q1. - by trying to figure out is grammatical, but I'm not so sure that 'communicate with the artwork' is the common expression.
    Q2. Yes, definitely. 'What was the cause of the fire?'