[Essay] Are history and literature more important than science and mathematics

Status
Not open for further replies.

my76

Member Type
Student or Learner
TOEFL iBT Independent Writing
124 Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? It is more important for students to study history and literature than it is for them to study science and mathematics. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

Every subject is important as it benefits us in different aspects. In view of usefulness of these subjects in our modern life, I have to say: science and mathematics are more important.

First and foremost, science and mathematics are essential for most subjects. No matter which subject you want to learn, economics, finance or mechanics, you must have sufficient science and mathematics knowledge to understand it. Anyone who lacks such knowledge will have difficult in grasping computers, internet, stock, insurance, etc. So the knowledge of science and mathematics is an essential ingredient to understand modern technology and social.

Besides, science and mathematics are indispensable in our daily life and professions. They tell us how to bypass electric shock when we are repairing our electric lights. And they also assist us to optimize our income and expense reasonably. Such subjects also play an important role in our jobs. Someone need to operate machinery, and someone is responsible for market or finance analysis. Someone may argue that he is a photographer or journalist, but he ineglects the face that he have to utilize cameras and computers. No one can deny that science and mathematics give us a competitive edge. Anyone blind to this may pay a heavy price.

last but not least, science and mathematics are of great importance to our logic training. They train us how to analyse numerous variants, and they indicate us how to cope with conflicting factors. With these trainings, we can cultivate our discrimination and stimulate our development of intelligence. Of course, history and literature had provided us considerable precedents which can be taken in to consideration when we face labyrinths. But that does not mean we can solve the labyrinths wisely only by precedents. Analysis and discrimination are supposed to be more important in handling dilemmas.

In conclusion, I would like to say that I personally agree with the statement that It is more important for students to study science and mathematics than it is for them to study history and literature. Science and mathematics should be the two most necessary and impotent subjects in our modern life.

Thank you. :)

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Some of the words could be replaced with better words.
So, a knowledge of science and mathematics is an essential i[STRIKE]ngredient[/STRIKE] requisite to understand modern technology.

Of course, history and literature had provided us considerable [STRIKE]precedents [/STRIKE] knowledge/lessons/wisdom which can be [STRIKE]taken in to into consideration[/STRIKE] used/applied when we face [STRIKE]labyrinths [/STRIKE]complicated problems.

my76

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thank you all for your help.
I will review it and improve my essay.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.