• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Descarte's coordinates

Can you help me to express the following sentences more naturally in English?

If Descarte, a French mathmatician and philosopher, had not created coordinates, I wouldn't have to rack my brian trying to solve a difficult math problem.

As math exam is coming, I would like to delete coorinates from the math textbook.

Abstract Idea is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Descarte's coordinates

----- I am not an ESL teacher -----

Quote Originally Posted by bosun View Post
    Can you help me to express the following sentences more naturally in English?

If Descarte, a French mathmatician and philosopher, had not created coordinates, I wouldn't have to rack my brian trying to solve a difficult math problem.

As math exam is coming, I would like to delete coorinates from the math textbook.
    If Descartes, the French mathematician and philosopher, had not created/invented the concept of coordinates, I wouldn't have to rack my brain trying to solve this difficult math problem.

Had Descartes not invented/created his coordinates, I wouldn't have to rack my brain to solve this difficult math problem.

If the French mathematician and philosopher René Descartes had not invented the Cartesian coordinates, I wouldn't be racking my brain now trying to solve this math problem.

As the math exam is coming, I wish I could delete the Cartesian coordinates from the math textbook.

Above are some suggestions. But if you really don't like Cartesian coordinates, why don't you try using generalized coordinates?