Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Will17 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,189

    Cool Order of words

    Hello,

    I sometimes get confused with (or By? ) the place of an adverb in a sentence. I know the rule but I regularly see counter-examples!!

    Is this sentence correct: We may have a few minutes only. Would it be better to say: We may only have a few minutes. ?

    Thanks
    W

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    698

    Re: Order of words

    Quote Originally Posted by Will17 View Post
    Hello,

    I sometimes get confused with (or By? ) the place of an adverb in a sentence. I know the rule but I regularly see counter-examples!!

    Is this sentence correct: We may have a few minutes only. Would it be better to say: We may only have a few minutes. ?

    Thanks
    W
    Yes, it is better to say it the second way. However, you might hear someone say it the other way. I am not quite sure why one would do this, but, while it appears awkward in the written form, it doesn't "sound" terrible. Perhaps in the first sentence the emphasis is being placed on the limited number of minutes, I don't know.

  3. #3
    Will17 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,189

    Cool Re: Order of words

    Quote Originally Posted by kfredson View Post
    Yes, it is better to say it the second way. However, you might hear someone say it the other way. I am not quite sure why one would do this, but, while it appears awkward in the written form, it doesn't "sound" terrible. Perhaps in the first sentence the emphasis is being placed on the limited number of minutes, I don't know.
    Thank you. Which is the right preposition "with" or "by"? I get confused with /by?

    Thanks
    W

  4. #4
    macanudo is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    60

    Re: Order of words

    I believe you should use 'confused by'. 'confused with' is usually used slightly differently. It is used when it is difficult to understand the difference between two things. For example,
    Swine flu can be confused with the common cold.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    698

    Re: Order of words

    Quote Originally Posted by macanudo View Post
    I believe you should use 'confused by'. 'confused with' is usually used slightly differently. It is used when it is difficult to understand the difference between two things. For example,
    Swine flu can be confused with the common cold.
    Thank you for the clear explanation. That is very helpful. Now what are your thoughts about the use of "placing" rather than "place" in the original sentence. I have the sense that either word could be used. One emphasizes location while the other emphasizes the activity of placing it.

    But I'm not so sure...

  6. #6
    Will17 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,189

    Cool Re: Order of words

    And what about this one:

    -At that time, I could speak English fluently.

    -At that time, I could fluently speak English.

    I'd go with the first one but the rule I know goes with the second.

    What about you?

    W

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    698

    Re: Order of words

    Quote Originally Posted by Will17 View Post
    And what about this one:

    -At that time, I could speak English fluently.

    -At that time, I could fluently speak English.

    I'd go with the first one but the rule I know goes with the second.

    What about you?

    W
    I agree. The first sentence sounds more natural.

  8. #8
    philadelphia's Avatar
    philadelphia is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    831

    Re: Order of words

    Quote Originally Posted by Will17 View Post
    And what about this one:

    -At that time, I could speak English fluently.

    -At that time, I could fluently speak English.

    I'd go with the first one but the rule I know goes with the second.

    What about you?

    W
    I agree with Fred as I have never heard the second one. It sounds worse - avoid it. I can/could/may/might speak English fluently.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •