Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The early morning attack wounded more than 80 people and took place as officials nearby were distributing wheelchairs and other aid to the needy. Officials say women and children are among the dead.

The above article is quoted from today's VOA , to the last sentence ,could you tell me why VOA used among the dead not "deads"?

from tien-sung Taipei

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sometimes we use adjectives as a noun meaning "people who are like this."

We will say "the rich" or "the poor," for example.

In your example, "the dead" = the people who are dead.

We don't make it plural.

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
The early morning attack wounded more than 80 people and took place as officials nearby were distributing wheelchairs and other aid to the needy. Officials say women and children are among the dead.

The above article is quoted from today's VOA , to the last sentence ,could you tell me why VOA used among the dead not "deads"?

from tien-sung Taipei

Barb D has explained it very well. Please notice that you have another example in the previous sentence. It is "needy" and not "needies." Again, it is a case of an adjective being used as a noun. I guess you could say they are short for "needy people" and "dead people."

Upon consulting a dictionary I believe that such adjectives are described as "acting collectively," hence becoming nouns. But I'm not sure.

Thank you for bringing these interesting examples.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status