Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
In Taiwan , when we go to a department or a tour site ,we often see the plate ,which says "Have a nice day ,Welcome next trip" .I think "Have a nice day" is ok in English ,but "Welcome next trip" is oddish ,could you tell me the correct way to express the feeling ( hope the vistors come again )

Buy the way ,please correct above thread to right.thank you.

from tien-sung

Taipei Taiwan

tien-sung

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Why you used "phrasing" instead" phrase" here ?

from tien-sung

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In Taiwan, when we go to a department or a tour site, we often see [STRIKE]the plate[/STRIKE] a sign which says "Have a nice day. Welcome next trip". I think "Have a nice day" is [STRIKE]ok[/STRIKE] OK in English, but "Welcome next trip" is oddish. Could you tell me the correct way to express the feeling (hope the vistors come again)

[STRIKE]Buy[/STRIKE] By the way, please correct the above thread, [STRIKE]to right.[/STRIKE] Thank you.

[STRIKE]from tien-sung

Taipei Taiwan[/STRIKE]

I agree with the above poster that "Please come back soon" would be more acceptable in English. An alternative would be "We look forward to welcoming you back soon".

As requested, I have made a few corrections to your original thread. You need to concentrate on your punctuation. Please note that we do not put a space BEFORE a comma, only AFTER. The same is true of full stops, question marks and exclamation marks. We also do not put spaces at the beginning and end of a sentence within brackets (as you can see here).

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You need to concentrate on your punctuation. Please note that we do not put a space BEFORE a comma, only AFTER. The same is true of full stops, question marks and exclamation marks. We also do not put spaces at the beginning and end of a sentence within brackets (as you can see here).

I, too, have told you this before, tien-sung.

Please take our advice on board.

Rover

tien-sung

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I will try to keep your reminding in my mind, but ,tell the truth, in Chinese we care little on this aspect(punctuation),anyway,thank you again.

from tien-sung

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I will try to keep your reminder in my mind, but, to tell the truth, in Chinese we care little about this aspect(punctuation). Anyway, thank you again.

From tien-sung

You're still doing it wrong.

You may care little about it, but I for one care a lot about wasting my time correcting your work when you ignore my suggestions.

Rover

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I will try to keep your reminding in my mind, but ,tell the truth, in Chinese we care little on this aspect(punctuation),anyway,thank you again.

from tien-sung
This is an appalling attitude. If I were learning Chinese (or Arabic, etc.), I hope I'd have more respect for my teachers and native speakers, and listen to what they consider important in their language.

When I'm learning Spanish, I don't say to my teacher, "Oh, I don't think the accents over letters are important at all."

[This attitude is not just among Chinese speakers, and some Chinese learners here have taken the necessary five or ten minutes to learn about spacing around punctuation, and their questions are received with much more enthusiasm by some of us if punctuated correctly. It's not hard, and it's simple manners.]

tien-sung

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
punctuation

Hi, Rover KE and Raymott:
Both of you may have misunderstood my point, actually, I cherish your advice very much. In Chinese, every word is capital, punctuation in the article isn't so important like which in English too, preposition is very very simple, we always use Cinese verbs without any variations, the nouns in Chinese language always use single form. Therefore, English grammar is difficult for Chinese people. Tell the truth, reading news on VOA or BBC isn't too difficult for me, but writing (or listening)is another thing. I hope you all keep correcting my threads(if any.)

From tien-sung

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Re: punctuation

Both of you may have misunderstood my point, actually, I cherish your advice very much. In Chinese, every word is capital, punctuation in the article isn't so important like which in English too, preposition is very very simple, we always use Cinese verbs without any variations, the nouns in Chinese language always use single form. Therefore, English grammar is difficult for Chinese people. Tell the truth, reading news on VOA or BBC isn't too difficult for me, but writing (or listening)is another thing. I hope you all keep correcting my threads(if any.)

From tien-sung

Yes, I think there is miscommunication and a misunderstanding here.
TS did not mean he doesn't care about getting the capitals and punctuation right in English. It is just take he has been having difficulty with them. In the Chinese language there are no capitals, very little punctuations and prepositions, no tenses and so many rules as in English.
This is always the common problem with ESL learners. When they are learning English, they tend to think in their native language.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Re: punctuation

From tien-sung
Now that is a much better effort, and a pleasure to read. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.