Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Using "that" twice

If I am making a statement about something I enjoy doing, how can I state it a correct format without the overuse of that? Here is what I would like to say in the correct form or sentence: " I can do that I am ivigorated by doing." or "I can do that that invigorates me."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Using "that" twice

'I do what invigorates me.'

Rover

Hi, AmyYvonne. I'm not a teacher.

You have another option - "that which invigorates me". This is more correct than "that that" since a verb comes straight after it. You shouldn't really say (though this rule is not so strict in English) "the thing that invigorates me", but instead "the thing which invigorates me". SEE EDIT

If you want to improve your English grammar, don't copy Kanye West - "that that don't kill me"!

__________________________________________________ _

Edit: Don't kill me - I made a mistake. The preferred version here is "the thing that invigorates me". It is a restrictive clause. "the thing which invigorates me" is okay in informal contexts but it is best to use "that" in this case.

Sorry!
    Last edited by ollieacappella; 10-Jul-2010 at 18:49. Reason: Mistake

Quote Originally Posted by ollieacappella View Post

You have another option - "that which invigorates me". This is more correct than "that that" since a verb comes straight after it. You shouldn't really say (though this rule is not so strict in English) "the thing that invigorates me", but instead "the thing which invigorates me".

If you want to improve your English grammar, don't copy Kanye West - "that that don't kill me"!

I really appreciate your help. This form of language has haunted me for some time now. I like the second option, thus, I have written this way: "the thing which invigorates me, I am compelled to do." Would this suffice?

Quote Originally Posted by AmyYvonne View Post
    I really appreciate your help. This form of language has haunted me for some time now. I like the second option, thus, I have written this way: "the thing which invigorates me, I am compelled to do." Would this suffice?
    It doesn't sound very English to use this sentence order. It is better, in terms of the order, to say "I am compelled to do the thing which invigorates me". Similarly, the idiom is "You are what you eat", not "What you eat, you are".

I used "the thing which" as an example of the general rule that I stated - you shouldn't really use it in this sentence. When you say "the thing", it almost sounds like you are referring to something specific. The best way, in my opinion, of saying this is:

"I am compelled to do what invigorates me" or "I am compelled to do that which invigorates me".

But then... what do I know - I'm not a teacher!

Smile Re: Using "that" twice

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    'I do what invigorates me.'

Rover

I agree, so this is my final decision. "I do what invigorates me."

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by AmyYvonne View Post
    I agree, so this is my final decision. "I do what invigorates me."

Thank You
    A jolly good decision! Haha!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

'I do what invigorates me.' Hmm, this doesn't sound natural to me. I'm not so sure if that's because of the 'what' instead of 'whatever' or 'things that/which', or the 'invigorates me' instead of 'I find invigorating'. Maybe I just can't think of a context where 'I do what invigorates me' would sound natural.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by bertietheblue View Post
    'I do what invigorates me.' Hmm, this doesn't sound natural to me. I'm not so sure if that's because of the 'what' instead of 'whatever' or 'things that/which', or the 'invigorates me' instead of 'I find invigorating'. Maybe I just can't think of a context where 'I do what invigorates me' would sound natural.
    I agree, I would prefer "whatever" or "that which" too.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by ollieacappella View Post

You have another option - "that which invigorates me". This is more correct than "that that" since a verb comes straight after it. You shouldn't really say (though this rule is not so strict in English) "the thing that invigorates me", but instead "the thing which invigorates me".

Why shouldn't one say "the thing that invigorates me"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast