Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Hello everybody! I'd like you to help me with this one:

What problems might students have when pronouncing the form of Present Continuous with a future sense? I've done lots of thinking but nothing. And I have to fill my lesson planning pronunciation section with that.

Do you think intonation might be a problem?

Thank you!

rx-f

Member Type
English Teacher
I remember writing about that kind of thing on CELTA. Is that what you're doing now?

It looks like you're in a Spanish-speaking country. Native speakers of romance languages often have problems with the English /ɪ/ sound because the letter "i" is pronounced /i/ in their native language. That means you'd expect the pronunciation of the vowel in "-ing" to be problematic.

Do you have access to a copy of Learner English by Swan and Smith?

ARUK2008

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
I remember writing about that kind of thing on CELTA. Is that what you're doing now?

It looks like you're in a Spanish-speaking country. Native speakers of romance languages often have problems with the English /ɪ/ sound because the letter "i" is pronounced /i/ in their native language. That means you'd expect the pronunciation of the vowel in "-ing" to be problematic.

Do you have access to a copy of Learner English by Swan and Smith?[/QUOTE
No I don't. I wish I had. But do you think sth like that will cover up that point? They're being so picky about completing our lesson plans plus the assignment that is due for Monday...

rx-f

Member Type
English Teacher
I don't know your CELTA trainers, but I did give you a genuine pronunciation problem for native speakers of Spanish. There may be more issues with this TL, though, that your trainers would like you to find.

Search Google Books for:
"learner english" spanish
(The first two words, but not the third, should be in quote marks).

You'll be able to read part of the Spanish chapter of the book online. It gives you a lot of helpful information.

As much as it's difficult and stressful doing the language analysis stuff on CELTA, it will help you enormously once you're teaching. Good luck with the assignment and the planning.

ARUK2008

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Thank you so much for your help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.