Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    notletrest is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    551

    20. she do love

    Look to your wife if you do love her as much as she do love you.My question is the second do. Thanks!

  2. #2
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    25,698

    Re: 20. she do love

    Quote Originally Posted by notletrest View Post
    Look to your wife if you do love her as much as she do love you.My question is the second do. Thanks!
    This is non-standard English. It should be: "...as much as she loves you".

  3. #3
    samozo is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5

    Re: 20. she do love

    (I think) do can be used to stress the act......she do love= she certainly love

  4. #4
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    25,679

    Re: 20. she do love

    Quote Originally Posted by samozo View Post
    (I think) do can be used to stress the act......she do love= she certainly love
    As bhai said, even if this were correct grammar, it's not colloquial.
    Remember:
    I/you/we/they do
    He/she/it does

    "She does love you" is correct. But it doesn't work in the original sentence.

  5. #5
    notletrest is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    551

    Re: 20. she do love

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    As bhai said, even if this were correct grammar, it's not colloquial.
    Remember:
    I/you/we/they do
    He/she/it does

    "She does love you" is correct. But it doesn't work in the original sentence.
    I agree with you ,Raymott.Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •