Student or Learner
Hey, be careful! You´ve just ________________ in my eye!
What´s the most commonly used participle of the verb to spit? I´ve found spitted, spat and even spit....
(1) I checked in A DICTIONARY OF MODERN AMERICAN USAGE by Mr.
Bryan A. Garner. Many people feel that he is a good guide.
(2) Mr. Garner says that you have three choices:
spit spat spat
spit spat spit
spit spit spit
(3) I think that many Americans probably follow the third set.
(4) Mr. Garner recommends following the first set -- "as good writers
generally do." (His words)
(5) Thus, you might want to say: "You've just spat in my eye!"
(6) As I have already said, I suspect that many people would use
P. S. Mr. Garner is an American, and he also writes books that give
advice to lawyers regarding proper English usage.