Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Please check this topic whether it has mistakes because I translated it from Arabic language for my studying English language and advise me, I think it will help me.

Thank you in advance

Holland Stars are preparing a surprise for the octopus if they beat Spain​

Holland are daring the octopus…

Holland team’s players decided to prepare a big signboard which carrying a letter saying “Shut up Polo” to the octopus which is called Polo if they win the World Cup.

The octopus Polo has expected all Germany results for the tournament, it expected the defeat against Spain in the semi-final, then expected the win for Spain in the World Cup against Holland team.

It drew the attention of the all world, while the environment minister of Spain claimed to protect this creature and preserve it from extinction. But Polo expectation of Spain’s win over Holland has irritated Holland players who decided to send a letter to it if they win the World Cup this Sunday for the first time in their history.

For that, some German have claimed to execute this octopus because it impacted the morale of Germany players after it expected the victory of Spain which in turn made Germany team to appear in bad level against what they did during this tournament.

Last edited:

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Re: Polo said "Spain will win the World Cup"

Oh no! no one wants to check this topic for me! I can't believe this!

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Oh no! no one wants to check this topic for me! I can't believe this! :cry:
Wait a while, it's a bit long, I don't have time right now.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States

I think it is wiser to wait a little bit to check whether Polo's prediction come true. Will it?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Please check this topic whether it has mistakes because I translated it from Arabic language for my studying English language and advise me, I think it will help me.

Thank you in advance

Holland Stars are preparing a surprise for the octopus if they beat Spain​

Holland are daring the octopus…

Holland's [STRIKE]team’s[/STRIKE] players have decided to prepare a big sign[STRIKE]board[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]which carrying a letter[/STRIKE] saying (or reading) “Shut up Polo” to the octopus [STRIKE]which is[/STRIKE] called Polo if they win the World Cup.

The octopus Polo has [STRIKE]expected[/STRIKE] predicted all of Germany's results for the tournament, it [STRIKE]expected[/STRIKE] predicted the defeat [STRIKE]against[/STRIKE] by Spain in the semi-final, then [STRIKE]expected[/STRIKE] predicted [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE]a win for Spain in the World Cup Final against Holland [STRIKE]team[/STRIKE].

It drew the attention of the [STRIKE]all[/STRIKE] whole world, while the environment minister of Spain claimed to protect this creature and preserve it from extinction. But Polo's [STRIKE]expectation[/STRIKE] prediction of Spain’s win over Holland has irritated [STRIKE]Holland[/STRIKE] the Dutch players who decided to send a letter to it if they win the World Cup this Sunday for the first time in their history.

[STRIKE]For that,[/STRIKE] Some Germans have [STRIKE]claimed[/STRIKE] threatened to [STRIKE]execute[/STRIKE] kill this octopus because it [STRIKE]impacted[/STRIKE] affected the morale of the [STRIKE]Germany[/STRIKE] German players [STRIKE]after it expected[/STRIKE] by predicting the victory of Spain, which in turn made Germany [STRIKE]team to[/STRIKE] appear in bad level against what they did during this tournament (I don't know what you mean by the end of this sentence).

See above.

Remember that you either refer to a football team as "Germany" or "the German team". The octopus has been "predicting" (or foreseeing) the results.

Edit: By the way, the octopus is called "Paul". I'm not aware that this translates to "Polo" in any language. Maybe "Paulo" in Spanish etc?

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

In bad level against what they did during this tournament (I don't know what you mean by the end of this sentence). I don't know how to write this sentence in English, but what I meant was "they appeared in bad performance and was absolutely against what they did before that". I hope that I cleared.
Thank you very much for you helping. I think the last sentence doesn't matter depending on English language, but its important when writing Arabic.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Thank you very much for you helping. I think the last sentence doesn't matter depending on English language, but its important when writing Arabic.

Maybe something like "It left them in a bad light which wasn't a fair reflection of their previous performances."

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

Maybe something like "It left them in a bad light which wasn't a fair reflection of their previous performances."
Absolutely that what I meant, Thank you very much.
By the way, the octopus is called "Paul". I'm not aware that this translates to "Polo" in any language. Maybe "Paulo" in Spanish etc?
But in Arabic they translated as Polo not Paulo, maybe they made wrong.

Last edited:

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Re: The octopus Polo has predicted