Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
When you ask someone if they have siblings, and you want to know he (or her)ranking of all siblings, how do you ask?

tien-sung

From Taiwan

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When you ask someone if they have siblings, and you want to know he (or her)ranking of all siblings, how do you ask?

tien-sung

From Taiwan

Well, after you've asked if they have any siblings and they've given you the answer, you can just say something like:

"And who is the eldest?" - the person will probably then actually tell you the information you want about all the siblings!

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Usually when you ask someone "Do you have any brothers or sisters?" they will mention their "rank" in their reply. They will say "I've got two younger sisters" or "I'm the middle child, I've got an older brother and a younger sister." If they are not that specific in their response, then you can ask "Are you the oldest?" or "Are you the baby* in the family?"

*In AmE, the youngest child in the family is referred to as "the baby" by family members even when he or she is all grown up and has children and grandchildren of their own. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.