Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    bertietheblue is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    577

    Infinitive usage: is this acceptable?

    'This document is not required to, and does not, contain all information.'

    or does 'contain' serve two functions which should be distinguished, at least in formal English (in this case, a legal document), so:

    'This document is not required to contain, and does not contain, all information.'

  2. #2
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    25,698

    Re: Infinitive usage: is this acceptable?

    Quote Originally Posted by bertietheblue View Post
    'This document is not required to, and does not, contain all information.'

    or does 'contain' serve two functions which should be distinguished, at least in formal English (in this case, a legal document), so:

    'This document is not required to contain, and does not contain, all information.'
    Would it not be simpler and more direct to say: "This document does not contain all (the) information, as it is not required to do so".

  3. #3
    bertietheblue is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    577

    Re: Infinitive usage: is this acceptable?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Would it not be simpler and more direct to say: "This document does not contain all (the) information, as it is not required to do so".
    Thanks, and yes, that would make sense in any other case. But I'm afraid the wordier and more stilted the English is in a legal document, the better, and a lawyer would see any correction into plain English as both needless and, for a legal document, unidiomatic. So, the essential structure has to remain and, given this, my question is simply whether or not the first sentence is acceptable.

  4. #4
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    25,698

    Re: Infinitive usage: is this acceptable?

    Quote Originally Posted by bertietheblue View Post
    Thanks, and yes, that would make sense in any other case. But I'm afraid the wordier and more stilted the English is in a legal document, the better, and a lawyer would see any correction into plain English as both needless and, for a legal document, unidiomatic. So, the essential structure has to remain and, given this, my question is simply whether or not the first sentence is acceptable.
    In that case yes, the first sentence is OK. Heaven forbid that we should make legal documents understandable to everyone.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    698

    Re: Infinitive usage: is this acceptable?

    Quote Originally Posted by bertietheblue View Post
    'This document is not required to, and does not, contain all information.'

    or does 'contain' serve two functions which should be distinguished, at least in formal English (in this case, a legal document), so:

    'This document is not required to contain, and does not contain, all information.'
    I would accept either form, although I would prefer the second.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •