Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No idea.

In what context did you see or hear this?

Rover

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
please, what is meant by (fat and greenery) thanks

I'm sorry, I do not understand your question at all.

Do you want to know the definitions of the words "fat" and "greenery". May I recommend any online dictionary?

MR SOLIMAN

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
No idea.

In what context did you see or hear this?

Rover
What man calls civilization always results in deserts. Man is never on the square – he uses up the fat and greenery of the earth. Each generation wastes a little more of the future with greed and lust for riches.”
Don Marquis

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What man calls civilization always results in deserts. Man is never on the square – he uses up the fat and greenery of the earth. Each generation wastes a little more of the future with greed and lust for riches.”
Don Marquis

Ah, now it makes more sense!

"...the fat and greenery of the earth."

"The fat of the land" is a phrase that means "living well; fed by abundant crops" (see HERE )

Although I've never heard "the greenery of the land/earth" I can imagine that it also refers to the vegetation of the planet, used either for food or other practical uses.

So the sentence means that man (ie human beings) use all the available resources of the planet, regularly leaving behind a desert.

MR SOLIMAN

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Thanks alot for your paraphrasing but I'd like you to read my viewpoint and send me your comment. I think that there is a relationship between(fat and greenery) and the meaning (drain or milk our planet's resources to the last drop) and in Arabic language,it means يستنزف ثروات

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks alot for your paraphrasing but I'd like you to read my viewpoint and send me your comment. I think that there is a relationship between(fat and greenery) and the meaning (drain or milk our planet's resources to the last drop) and in Arabic language,it means يستنزف ثروات

I'll take your word for it in Arabic, as I can neither speak nor read Arabic!

I partially agree with your statement "drain or milk our planet's resources to the last drop", but the original post shows that each generation gradually takes more and more of the resources. Clearly, as yet, we have not taken everything (or "the last drop") or the human race would have died out.

Status
Not open for further replies.