[Idiom] Death over easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenoplant

Member Type
Other
Well, I ran across this expression when I was translating a film script. It's definitely not about this. It was just a title of a book that was mentioned in a dialogue. So my question is - what can the expression mean apart from fire/heat-related death? E.g. can it possibly be a variant of "easy death" (e.g. someone died quickly and painlessly) or else? :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Eggs over easy are fried on both sides- could the person have been killed by two things that would each have been fatal? (Guessing)

xenoplant

Member Type
Other
Eggs over easy are fried on both sides- could the person have been killed by two things that would each have been fatal? (Guessing)
Well, the meaning is still based on the dictionary definition, where smth is fried. Can there by other sense in this title?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: I suspect Tdol hadn't looked at the link when he wrote this - as all the deaths described do have a double cause.

b

xenoplant

Member Type
Other
:up: I suspect Tdol hadn't looked at the link when he wrote this - as all the deaths described do have a double cause.

b
One can guess an adequate translation from the definition in a dictionary. But I specified that it's not about the situation(s) described in the article I hotlinked to.

Still, could it be just two causes not related to fire?
What else can it be?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think fire is a red herring. I see no reason not to believe there's a link to that site, apart from your assertion.

But maybe it's not worth reading too much into the words. The collocation 'eggs over easy' is so strong that replacing the first word with any other word is thought-provoking; to do it with a monosyllable that has the same vowel-sound is even more so. Besides, 'eggs over easy' is an order. Death is not usually ordered - so, in a simple sense that has none of the 'twice-cooked' connotations Tdol mentioned - 'Death over easy' may simply mean 'murder'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.